Duplicate Objects

Working on a drawing today and I noticed I had lots of duplicate objects right underneath each other. Sometimes two, but also 3x and 4x in a few cases.

Any idea why this happens?

In one case, I know I copied an entire class of items to move to another layer for a display. (Yes, probably could have used viewport vis)

The other commanality is that I am sharing files via FTP sites. On one big project, I am importing and exporting ACAD drawings, but on the one today, only the import base and none of the design layers were ACAD.

So, two questions

1 - Is there some common task that makes me duplicate items in place that I am not aware of?

2 - Who sells the plug in for "remove duplicate objects" that I have heard referred to.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan,

Thanks, but I checked my preferences on both my drawing template file and the file I was working ont and the contol dupe was unchecked.....hmm. I often do a Control-A, C, or V.

I wonder if I somehow paste twice? I thought it was perhaps when I transferred the polys to another layer, but then why would I have some cases where I had three of each line?

I just ran a VW Trace Bitmap which produced a half million lines. Many were dupes stacked 10 to 100 or more deep.

Manuel Garc?a de Paredes VectorBits Optimize Drawing 2011 in the Delete Duplicates mode reduced the trace to 7000 lines with tolerance set to .001" (did not try it on zero). The command ran for about 30 minutes. A faster CPU might do better (or SSD? or more RAM?).

At .5" tolerance many of the stacks were deleted entirely - only 7 of the original half million were left in the drawing.

The command edits entire drawing, rather than selection or layer or other subset. If that's a problem, a workaround is to transfer selection to a new drawing, then paste the mods into orig drawing, although boundary/center might change slightly.

Anyway, very impressive. Saved me plenty of time.

-B