Clip Tool

I have not even seen an option for closed on polylines, only polygons. Where do I look for that? Anyway, I'm guessing they would not be closed since they are contours. Most of the time we are just importing this info from surveyors who use Autocad, but we have the same problem if we want to cut a little piece from the proposed grading we create (landscape architecture firm).

I am surprised not to see any other posts on this & think maybe I have some setting wrong, then. When I clip polylines in any of the 3 modes of the clip tool, I get extra lines crossing the new endpoints. We have this experience on VW 9.01 on Mac as well as 9.5 on XP Professional. For instance, if I want to cut an area of a survey to project limits, the contours that have been cut end up looking like polygons instead of polylines. We end up having to mask the area we don't want instead, which makes the files way bigger than we need and causes some other difficulties. Are we doing something wrong?

If you are using open polylines, the marquee used to draw the "clipped" section will stick to the objects to close the polylines. This is an error in open polylines. If you use closed polylines and perform a clip, it works as it should.I have entered this in the bug list as a bug.

A polyline is closed when drawing the polyline itself. You cannot close a polyline with a Closed check mark box in the OIP like you can with the Polygon tool. You would have to end the polyline at the starting point.

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]