Label Legend Layout Symbol Appearing in Document

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You don't say what version you are using but from the looks of it probably an older version on the Mac.

First try inserting a different symbol and see what happens in a new document just to make sure the LL did not get inserted in the symbol.

The next step would be to try deleting your preferences folder.

Quit VW and delete:

HD > Users > (User's Home Folder) > Library > Application Support > Vectorworks > (Version Number)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've encountered this using 2012. I have been able to backtrack to a week prior and the problem wasn't there, but a lot of work has happened in that week so I am not sure what corrupted the label legend. It seems to only happen with my 2D symbols. I've gone in and deleted what looked like the offending label, but it didn't work. I instead had to delete all of them which is a bummer when you have a few thousand fixtures in your rig and now have to rebuild all of the different labels that you created for all the different fixture types.

I guess the next thing I'll do is delete the labels and then try to import them from an uncorrupted backup.

Updated.

Re-importing the labels didn't help.

One thing I've noticed is that when I did delete the labels and then reimported them, the "active" fixture label had nothing check marked. I could then drop 2D fixtures into the plot and the label manager data was not shown. I could then tell it what label to use and everything was fine...sort of. When placing the fixture, there would be what looks like some extra field that wants to be attached to the fixture, like a placeholder. It almost looks like it's about the same size as when you go to add text to a drawing. 3D fixtures do not exhibit this anomaly.

I can post a picture if someone can tell me how to attach it to the post.

One other thing. I am new to Screen Plane and Layer Plane, but what I just noticed is that my 2D fixtures are set to Layer plane and my 3D fixtures don't have that option to change that since they are 3D. I noticed that if I was set to Screen plane and dropped the fixture in, I would get the label manager blob, but if I set the view up as layer plane the label manager blob doesn't show up and everything is fine.

Needless to say, I am turning that choice off, as I don't use it.

• 5 months later...

I am running into this same problem using the latest version of 2011. I ended up creating a new layer and laying down new instruments. For a while there were no problems, but now the label legend is starting to pop up all over my Design Layer again! Anyone have any tips?