Sloping Hardscape Slab?

Is there a way in VW2009 to create sloping hardscape 3D slabs relatively easily? I thought I could create a 3D poly line and then extrude or drag face to a depth. Unfortunately, it is not letting me do this. My thought is that I could do this with site modifiers but the slab and base would not be a separate 3D object that would show up in a cross section for details and take offs. The hardscape tool only seems to work w flat planes. Am I wrong about this? Also, I have heard the Roof Tool could possibly do this? Unfortunately, I am only in Landmark at the moment.

Would I have better options in 2011?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Using

Vectorworks Landmark 2009

Mac-Power PC CPU

Thank you for the responses. Can you create a slab from a 3D poly? Top of the slab needs to be sloped (i.e. to drain in the middle of the slab. I though a slab was flat.

In referenced to the use of the roof object,is this only available in architect. I will look into it.

The end result doesn't need to be a hardscape object. I just need to be able to take sections and assign records to it.

Thanks again.

A slab is a hybrid object of uniform thickness always created parallel to the ground plane.

You can define your 3d polygon and give it a thickness using the Shell Solid tool (Shift G).

Another alternative to the methods above is to draw your hardscape on a working plane and extrude it to the desired thickness.

If in Top/Plan view you draw a 2d polygon you can select both 2d and 3d objects >Create Symbol to produce a hybrid symbol with its attendant benefits.

Thanks. I couldn't get the shell to work. Is it possible to edit vertices of extruded solids? If so I could create a extrusion and then reset vertices to stakes.

Also, another thought is to copy the 3dpolyline and then move it to depth of slab and then loft it. Surprisingly, this did not work because it wasn't a solid.

Also, I tried the roof tool and it says the 2d polygon I am using is too complex. It is fairly simple in my opinion.

I may have to just use stake object modifiers for spot elevations and then change the proposed topo while using 2D with records to add the data to 3D objects. This defeats the purpose of doing sections but may be all I can do at this point.

Very frustrated. This seems like every person working on a site would need this.

The roof faces seem to need to have a consistent face vs each corner having different elevations as a hardscape to drain might (see attached screenshot of a part of the hardscape test I am trying). There is only one 3D polygon created. Each corner is staked. I drew the 3D poly based on them.

As usual with Vectorworks, there are several ways forward. The above is all good. Here is another choice:

Draw a square or other shape for drain and convert it to NURBS. Change its z to 0, if nec. Draw the perimeter shape as a polyline or polygon with a vertex at each grade point. Convert to NURBS. Select the perimeter NURBS, set the OIP from Entire Object to Vertex Only and adjust the Z of each perimeter point. NURBS curves are not closed, so start/end is a stack of 2 vertices. Both will need z setting. Simple Loft from drain to perimeter with Rule option and Keep Curves. For best loft, select each NURBS at a similar point (say upper right) so the red line goes connects similar points. Press Return or click the green checkmark. This creates a group containing NURBS surfaces. Your curves overlay but are not in the group. If it looks funky, you probably need to change the direction of one of the NURBS so they both go the same direction.

Now Shell the lofted surfaces

In case you are not familiar with the Shell Tool, it does not do anything with objects selected before invoking the tool. It requires click of each face AFTER the tool is invoked, even those faces or objects were selected at start. Click the tool icon, then shift select to highlight multiple faces (they turn red). When all are highlighted, press Return or click the tool's checkmark. The shell thickness can be changed in the OIP if nec.

HTH

-B

The roof face tool may work in some instances, but seems to need all elevations to be the same at the top and all the same for the bottom.

The NURB method described by Benson_Shaw worked to create a sloping slab with different spot elevations at each corner. The Shell tool provided the depth and I was able to cut a section view to create a detail of the slab. There was a need for a little bit of clean up of the loft before creating the shell, but not bad at all. For some reason, the lofted faces had some overlap around the drain (square).

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

• 2 years later...

Thanks to Vincent's unintentional actions, this thread attracted my attention. Learned about creating shells from NURBS surfaces thanks to Benson Shaw and while that may work well in some instances, the unpredictability, complexity and the lack of ability to edit the shells after creation isn't ideal. I generally find that Roof Faces are the easiest to create and modify as a design process may warrant.

The roof face tool may work in some instances, but seems to need all elevations to be the same at the top and all the same for the bottom.

Actually, one can have differing elevations simply by setting or moving the pivot axis or spring line of the Roof Face. And Roof Faces facilitate easy manipulation of rise or slope and texturing,

even editing the (plan) shape with just a few clicks. For many of the same reasons I often find EAPs a good choice, say for ramps and walks.