Can somebody help?

Hi I do custom cabinetry and millwork both residential and commercial I'm looking for a cad software package that can help with some of my design work and also offer 3-d drawing for some furniture projects. Is just the basic vector works program what I'm looking for? I also found a link that seems to be a addon that is being developed to aid in furniter design through vector works http://www.thetagroup.com/ hopefully somebody can help and offer some suggestions thanks in advance for any help

Pat

That theta group stuff looks pretty cool. The basic vectorworks package should probably do you just fine. I don't know that any of the "industy add-ons" would do anything for you. If you are going to be doing any presentation stuff you might want to consider renderworks as well. It isn't all that amazing a product, but it does okay for the money.

If you have the time you might want to beta test that theta group stuff. I would guess that most of their issues are interface and unit related.

Hi I have done quite a bit of custom cabinet and furniture work with vectorworks architect it includes a cabinet plug in and a library of stock cabinets which is much to limited for custom work but it is usfull for kitchen layout work ,if it had a way to customise the doors it would be much more usefull. unfortunatly I can't remember if the cabinet tool is part of the base program or the architect addon . the base program however works quite well for custom and one off work .

mike

Hannes thanks for that link but in case you didn't look at the link I included we are both looking at the same software package. That addon is a reason I'm considering vector works. but to the other responses it seems that you recommend I go with the architect version opposed to the basic vectorworks 9.5 i think it is thanks

pat

quote:

Originally posted by Pat A Montalbano:

Hannes thanks for that link but in case you didn't look at the link I included we are both looking at the same software package. That addon is a reason I'm considering vector works. but to the other responses it seems that you recommend I go with the architect version opposed to the basic vectorworks 9.5 i think it is thanks

pat

hello Pat,

Yes we are talking about the same add on.

I also use VW for cabinet design and don't think that the architektural version will bring you

much advantage compared to the basic version.

HTH, Hannes

Pat - I am a foreman of a millwork shop and have been using VW for all our drawings and lay-outs for almost three years. It is an indispensable tool,especially for lay-out. Full sized drawings on sheets of MDF are long gone.

I almost never use the supplied cabinet tools anymore. I do use Renderworks, and I have a few designers that will pay to see a fully rendered model of something like a complicated reception counter. For these it is possible to go to say Pionite's web site, download a plam sample and apply it to the model. Clients love this too.

So I say get the base vworks to start and maybe add renderworks later if you have the need, and the sooner the better.

Hannes - I've been watching your site for over a year waiting for your door plugin to become available. How's that going?

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: ccroft ]