Hidden line improvements.....

Some time needs to be spent on the hidden line 'intuitiveness'!

In this case I have solids and walls that meet and I don't want a line to show. Perhaps a way to solve this is through class settings?! ie: if 2 planes are parallel and in the same plane and have the same class there should not be a line where they meet. If they are different classes there could be a line......

When 2 planes meet at different angels there should always be a line between.

Some time needs to be spent on the hidden line 'intuitiveness'!

In this case I have solids and walls that meet and I don't want a line to show. Perhaps a way to solve this is through class settings?! ie: if 2 planes are parallel and in the same plane and have the same class there should not be a line where they meet. If they are different classes there could be a line......

When 2 planes meet at different angels there should always be a line between.

For lines to dissappear, the touching objects needs to be structural objects. So you'll need to use a floor object instead of a solid for the roof. or run the following script when you select the roof object:

PROCEDURE ToStructuralObject;

VAR
selected : HANDLE;

PROCEDURE SetAsStructural(obj : HANDLE);
BEGIN
	SetObjectVariableBoolean(obj, 702, TRUE);
END;

BEGIN
ForEachObject(SetAsStructural, SEL=TRUE & INOBJECT);
END;

Run(ToStructuralObject);

This will turn the selected objects into structural ones so that you don't see a line between them in hidden line renderings.

This is also usefull for many other things like kitchen counters, drain pipes, things you want to split over more than one floor, ...

For the lines that doesn't show: Check if the objects you have drawn are not going through each other. VW will only show lines at the corners of objects.

If it doesn't work, can you post the file so I can look at it?

Simple...

What VW needs is a pen/lineweight overide tool which works similar to a paint bucket tool.

When activating this tool all lines in 2D or 3D become "editable" so you can change the lineweight or even make it invisible.

Would be great for tweaking elevations as well.

This would be one of my top five "must haves" to be included in Vectorworks.

• 2 weeks later...
I was going to try that out, but thanks for the feedback Dieter, much appreciated.....do you have that script as a command or plug-in lying around somewhere Dieter :), I'm sure to need that more often in the future....

I just have it as a script resource in my template. Just make a script resource, past in the code, and your done.