Terrain Modeling

So I've created a basic rectangular site using the property line tool.

I've created 2D polygons of the contours and have created the site model.

Now I want to edit the site by adding spot levels at each corner of the site and at other various locations and then update the site model. The survey input options don't allow for spot level entries. If I use the 3D loci tool the view defaults to Top view and I no longer see the property lines and there doesn't appear to be a height input option with this tool.

It must be staring me in the face - I am all ears :crazy:

Try using the Stake Object with settings "Site Modifier Object". Don't forget that every time you modify a Site Model it will need to be Updated. See also VW's Help, topic= Modifying the Site Model, which will tell you about using other Site Model Modifiers like Pads surrounded by Boundary... Hope that helps.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Kizza

I presented a webinar with Vectorworks on Site Modeling last week - you may be able to get hold of a recording if you contact them.

In the meantime, if your original source data was 2D Polygons, then your site will be flat... Instead, if you converted each to a 3D Polygon or 3D Loci, you could enter the height of the contour in the Z field on the Object Info palette.

It's possible to change the source data even after creating the site by right-clicking on the site and choosing Edit Source Data.

But Peter is quite right, Stake Objects are better for providing accurate source data. They can also be used to change the site - the tool has several different modes including one for creating sites and another for modifying sites.

You can also use the Site Modifier tool to create Pads, which will also you to create planar surfaces that modify the site as well as new contours. The Grade tool will also help you with creating slopes, swales etc.

Good luck and shout if you need help.

Having made progress with my first site model in VW..

Please see attached, I think I have it right now.

Just some graphical issues I want to fix.

Is it possible to hide the contour lines which extend past the boundary? (particularly where the contours "close"?

And is it possible to manually choose to label some of the minor contours?

And can the contour labels be moved (or property line dimensions) where they clash?

Edited by Kizza

Hi Kizza, some answers: If you create a viewport you can crop it anywhere with any polygonal shape. I usually label spot elevations/contours in the VP annotations with simple text. Or you can use a Stake Object, set to surface of Site. As far as I know you cannot move the labels. It would be better if you could! Nice item for the Wishlist ;-) Glad you are having success. P

Instead of labeling contours use the stake object, then you have positional control - nice tip.

I wanted to add additional info from the adjoining sites to the drawing whilst leaving the contour info in place before creating any viewports - looks like there is no way to clean up the contours on the long sides where they close up then?

To 'trim' the edges of your site model - set the Site Border some distance from the edge of the site:

Draw a polygon representing the new Site Border for your Site.

Cut.

Right click on the Site Model,

Edit>Site Border

Select it and Delete

Paste in Place

Exit.