like many people I used Vectorworks for long periods each day, I used to use a Macally Optinet which was great, it was quite ergonomic to use, eventually it broke and they are now obsolete. I have been using a basic PC Line mouse since then, it was ok but not great, that broke recently so I just got a Macally M mouse. It's very light, but it's also small so not so comfortable as it's small, it's also a bit 'glitchy'.

Obviously it's quite a subjective area but can anyone suggest a good mouse which is a true joy to use? Please don't suggest the trackballs as I discounted them some time ago, I don't really want batteries on board as it becomes too heavy to slide it about all day, so I'm either looking for a larger version of the M mouse (which has a very light ribbon lead), or maybe a stylus type device.

Any ideas?!

thanks

AJ

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Like Bruce, I have Wacom Intuos2 tablet (to replace a cheaper Wacom tablet). I originally bought both tablets hoping to use the pen to ease the stress on my hand. I never could get used to the stylus for CAD. I found it difficult to be precise when clicking on points. I have, however, used the included mouse with the tablets and have been very happy with it. I have two 24" monitors mapped to an area on the tablet so that the mouse never runs out of room. IOW, you never have to pickup the mouse because of running out of desk space. I also added some key combinations to the side buttons on the mouse. The left button is "cmd-[" (Edit Group) and the right "cmd-" (Exit Group). This allows me to enter and exit containers in VW without the keyboard. While the Intuos2 is a little pricy, it has been my favorite for some time now.

Cadplan,

buying myself a tablet three years ago was probably one of the few really good things I did. Much faster, preciser to draw than any mouse I ever tried.

Wacom Intuos 3 (I think), A3-size (very large, purposefully for moving the arm much).

BTW it also cured 1) back aching 2) painful arm injury 3) loss of capability to write by hand.

Now I can write again. Not that I need that much in the age of computers, but it was disquieting to have lost that capability.

orso

much too much time at a computer

How do you zoom?

By keys in marquee mode, and obviously all generic zoom shortcuts (see the help).

I use the keyboard for zooming also when I have the mouse. It's much faster and again more precise.

BTW tablets come with many mappable functions and buttons, among others also zoom stuff which works very well.

orso

if you get writer's cramp though holding the pen for long periods!

No (average time at the tablet: 10 h/d).

The pen is extremely light, much lighter than the smallest pencil and doesn't even need to touch the tablet.

If you wish to know how it feels, find a feather, hold it loosely in your hand and "dust" some surface with it.

This is exactly the feeling you have with the stylus pen. It's joyfully relaxing.

o

• 1 month later...

thanks to all, I have bought a Logitech M500 laser mouse now. It's has a quality solid feel to it and it's comfortable to hold. It feels far more responsive and accurate that my previous mouse, the zoom wheel takes a bit of getting used to as it just spins freely rather than having a 'notched' movement but I guess I may get used to it.

It's a corded mouse so it's still fairly light as there are not any on board batteries.

The only other improvements I can think of would be- 1) that the cable be as thin as the Macally ribbon, and 2) that a wireless version could be made with just a tiny long life or rechargeable battery.

I haven't explored all the buttons yet so I need to do that soon.

AJ

I use a cheap wired Logitech optical mouse, but I have been considering a tablet for a while. A question for those tablet users: When you use the keyboard (say to type a note), do you put the pen down momentarily, and then pick it up again to continue drawing? Like most, I seamlessly go back and forth from keys to mouse, and the idea of picking up and putting down a pen each time seems weird. Perhaps like anything, one would just get accustomed to the action.

V-G.

Cadplan, push the little button behind the scroll wheel to engage/disengage free-spin. In free-spin mode, it's easy to scroll up & down long pages (like back to the top of a long web page.) With free-spin off, the wheel clicks as you described.

Ah yes I discovered it by accident, it a beautiful mouse now, I wish I had bought it a long time ago instead of the Macally one.

thanks

AJ

• 1 month later...

I awaiting the imminent arrival of a MacBook Pro. First time that I will have used a Mac in anger in over 20 years so I'm not really up to Mac terminology like OS name but I guess it's the latest.

I use a Logitech M705 on my PC and like that. Long been a fan of Logitech especially after the 705's 4 year old predecessor (along with it's combined keyboard) was replaced by Logitech under warranty. The Logitech M505 that is on our Windows laptop is smaller but probably OK for longer term use too.

Been looking at Logitech M555b as it's Bluetooth so won't use up one of the USB ports. Any one used this mouse? It gets mixed reports on Amazon reviews. Size and use of Bluetooth are my areas of concern. What is Bluetooth like for mouse on Mac. Prefer not to have to install any software for it to work - not much of a fan of Logitech mouse software so prefer not to install it if possible.

Any other suggestions? I presume the Apple Magic Mouse is a no go with VW due to its seamless non tactile multi touch surface causing confusion between press and scroll operations? Do I even need a mouse as I have the trackpad which I am not a fan of in the PC world?

Will be used with full size apple keyboard when in desktop mode, probably with case closed on larger monitor. Assume this will work Ok as keyboard will be plugged in. Apple store guy implied that this needed extra software but found Apple FAQ implied it was fine if keyboard was plugged in via USB and could wake the MacBook.

Ian

I'm not familiar with that specific logitech mouse.

I use the Magic Mouse all the time as my road mouse. It works fine, but there is a learning curve. You have to learn to avoid any stray touches in the top of the mouse. And I don't think it has an equivalent of pressing the scroll wheel.

The road keyboard I use is the bluetooth Matais FK304 (Mac version) http://matias.ca/foldingkeyboard/pc-mac/. It has a weird concept for caps lock, but otherwise it's the perfect traveling keyboard.

The desktop mode thing does work. If the laptop is closed with a monitor and keyboard plugged in, then hitting a key will wake up the computer and cause the external monitor to become the home monitor.

I've found it useful to use both the laptop monitor and the external monitor in non mirror mode when in the office. Mac will let you choose which monitor has the menu bar. Or you can download a cool little program called MenusEverywhere to put the menu bar in multiple places. http://www.binarybakery.com/

You'll have to get an adaptor for the monitor. Apple loves proprietary monitor connectors.

I haven't tried the newest OS yet. I expect VW will have an SP to fix any issues soon.

mk