Moving a Space crashes VW SP3, didn't pre-SP3

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have been working on a project since VW 2011 SP1 and just discovered that now, in SP3, moving a Space (that is in the annotation area of a viewport, on a sheet) crashes VW SP3. This did not happen prior to SP3 (believe me, I've moved these Spaces many times before and all has been fine until SP3.)

I thought this might be a glitch with older files (that is, made in VW 2010 or 2011 SP1) being used in SP3, but I made a brand new file in SP3 and the same thing occurs.

Can anyone else move the Spaces made in these two files without having VW SP3 crash?

Alternatively, If I can accomplish a room-name-and-dimension-label-that-relate-to-a-room-sized-polygon type of thing another way, I'm open to suggestions. (And if I am using the Space tool in a sadly archaic way, please forgive me. I just recently spent many years at a firm where VW is hardly being utilized for more than digital pen on paper. I'm in rehab now.)

Thanks,

-Neil

Both files crash for me too. Vw also crashed with a new file that I created and tested.

In the interim use the 2D Reshape tool to change the locations of the Space object vertices. Works with both individual vertices using the move vertex mode and multiple vertices using the marquee mode. Using the latter method you can enclose the whole Space object with the marquee and move it.

Neil,

You asked for forgiveness and you have it.

But I have to ask: why are you using Spaces within Annotations to a viewport? I consider Spaces to be a part of the basic drawing for room definition (areas, finishes, etc.). Are you using the Space in Annotations for its label function only?

We consider Viewports as not the best place to put primary data because the whole viewport could be accidentally deleted and all those annotations would be gone. Admittedly, that hasn't happened that much but it has happened. We certainly use VPs but usually only add dimensions or for controlling what is to be visible via class and layer control. At the most, we had detail to WC plans, using a larger scale VP referenced from the primary floor plan for instance.

You triggered my curiosity.

Yes, very much so.

But you were describing a problem while trying to edit/manipulate a Space in Annotations in a VP on a Sheet Layer (SL), right? Totally different things.

In the method I described, we edit/manipulate the Space on the DL and show it as VP on a SL. We don't edit the Space on the SL except to select/deselect classes or layers or overrides.

I agree. I use the Annotation of a VP for 2D dimensions and text notes only. All 3D model objects (spaces, walls, floors, roofs) go on design layers. And Vincent's right, spaces can interactively move walls.

I'm sure it is easier to make a room name 2D text group for use on the annotation layer.