3d aligning

rsa

I'm trying to get more into using VW 3d capabilities...

If I make some extrudes and solids and then want to align them the way I'd like I might go to top/plan and align it there then side view to align, etc.

The problem is when I move an object to align it in plan view (x,y) it will often move the object in the Z axis too.

I assume it is auto-aligning with some point on the Z axis or something like that.

Am I missing a constraint option? is there a way to only move a 3d object in the plane of view? So if I move it in plan (x,y) it won't move in Z too?

Thanks,

Rob

If you set the layer/screen plane to screen plane the object will only move in a 2D direction, if it is set to Layer Plane the Z axis (or the axis 'in & out' of the screen) comes into play.

This is also true when rotating and mirroring an object. Although this is a pain in the neck you will eventually get used to checking the plane selection. It can often be the cause of unexpected behaviour.

ahhh. Thanks!

on that subject... I'm still getting used to the layer/screen plane thing. I think I want to be in layer plane 90% of the time but it seems to switch from layer to screen sometimes without my doing it. Then I end up with objects in different planes that can't be joined... sometimes frustrating.

Is this something I need to just get used to - always looking at the little layer/screen indicator?

It seems like going to a sheet layer automatically switches to screen mode but then sometimes it switches back to layer when I return to the design layer but not always...

I am afraid this is an issue that has been the topic of a few frustrated threads.

Yes for the time being it is something to keep an eye on. The layer/screen plane switching is a problem that has not yet been addressed and is, in my opinion, due to lack of foresight in it's implementation, and by that I mean no disrespect to the designers/engineers at VW I just think it needed more thought about how much of a major a change it was.