Re-Shape Shell Surface

Hello,

I am trying to create a rounded face on a nurbs shelled surface. I have tried filleting the edge but it will not give me enough rounding, it leaves a flat still on the top of the solid. How can I round this surface so that it is a smooth transition from the base to the top center? -

Hi Jim,

Try this,

Assume we are looking down on your punched shape...

Use Model>Extract Curve to get the outside curve.

Duplicate the Curve. (this will ensure it has the same number and type of verticies as the original)

Group the duplicate. It can now be "easily" reshaped.

Squash the duplicate till its about 80% of its original size and more or less parallel to the original.

Ungroup it

place a 3D locus in the "centre" of the shapes.

go to front view and;

Raise the duplicate curve above the original by about the "offset" distance.

Raise the locus till it's about half that again.

Loft between the first curve, the second and the locus.

You should get a surface that smoothly joins them all up. You will probably need to tweak the second curve size, shape and height, and also the locus to get exactly what you want.

HTH,

N.

of course you could also use the revolve with rail tool like Kaare suggested :-)

[ 03-04-2005, 03:03 AM: Message edited by: propstuff ]

quote:

Originally posted by Kaare Baekgaard:

You can use the 'Revolve with rail* tool.

I thought of that but I cannot figure out how to erect an axis perpendicular to the curve face as you can see the form that the grains are on is a complex surface. Is there a way to erect an axis perpendicular to a surface?

--

quote:

I cannot figure out how to erect an axis perpendicular to the curve face as you can see the form that the grains are on is a complex surface. Is there a way to erect an axis perpendicular to a {complex curved} surface?

OK, then,

Well I'd be interested in an answer to that question, but in the meantime......

The "Revolve" command requires a Planar rail curve (see manual) . The revolve also has a tendancy to produce anomolies at the centre of irregular surfaces unless you're carefull with the profile and the axis.

The Loft technique I described will work for you (but with a little more fiddling than you want).

N.

quote:

Originally posted by propstuff:

quote:

I cannot figure out how to erect an axis perpendicular to the curve face as you can see the form that the grains are on is a complex surface. Is there a way to erect an axis perpendicular to a {complex curved} surface?

OK, then,

Well I'd be interested in an answer to that question, but in the meantime......

The "Revolve" command requires a Planar rail curve (see manual) . The revolve also has a tendancy to produce anomolies at the centre of irregular surfaces unless you're carefull with the profile and the axis.

The Loft technique I described will work for you (but with a little more fiddling than you want).

N.

Thanks for your help on this I will try the lofting.

Jim

It just occured to me Jim:

If you take the grain that you have punched out, and section it "horizontally" flat along it's length you will now be able to extract a planar curve of the grain shape that can be used in a Revolve. That could be added back to the bottom half for use later.

'Might work OK.

BTW, how long did the Tea Pot take to make?

cheers,

N.

quote:

You have some very nice things there Jim. Beautiful.

I have made a model of a standard "American" Brilliant Cut diamond. If you want a copy let me know. Good luck with the wheat.

N.

Thanks for your comments, Sorry about the delay in responding but I have been in New York for a conference the past few days. I would love a brilliant cut model.

quote:

Originally posted by Kaare Baekgaard:

If the corn decorations are all identical, you might consider using symbols. (Unknown to some, symbols can take part in solid operations.)

Nice item. what is it?

I am not certain what you mean about how I would use a symbol in this instance.

The item is a transition piece from bowl to stem for a chalice.

-

quote:

It just occured to me Jim:

If you take the grain that you have punched out, and section it "horizontally" flat along it's length you will now be able to extract a planar curve of the grain shape that can be used in a Revolve. That could be added back to the bottom half for use later.

'Might work OK.

BTW, how long did the Tea Pot take to make?

cheers,

N.

Nicholas, thanks for your help with this. I will try that as well. The lofting is working but it is taking a lot of fiddling around to make it the "right" shape.

The teapot was a about a three month long project. It was very labor intensive as the sheet for it had to be hand forged before I could make the teapot from it.