Vectorworks 2010 AppCrash on Opening - Windows 7 64bit

LXtech

Question

The Problem:

I purchased a brand new laptop yesterday, running on 64 bit windows 7 home premium. All the drivers are up to date.

I downloaded and installed vectorworks 2010 (free Student Edition).

When I attempt to start vectorworks, the splash screen appears (says initializing rendering system in the bottom left corner) but does nothing else. As soon as I click on the window anywhere I get 'Vectorworks 2010 Application has stopped working' with the option to 'check online for a solution and close program' (clicking this just closes the program) or 'close program' .

With the following details:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Vectorworks2010.exe

Application Version: 15.0.4.0

Application Timestamp:4bfd775b

Fault Module Name: aticfx32.dll

Fault Module Version: 8.17.10.1047

Fault Module Timestamp: 4cabd6fc

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00025861

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

-------------------

Things I've tried:

Uninstalled Quicktime and installed version 7.6.2.

Completely uninstalled vectorworks (from registry etc) and reinstalled. TWICE.

The laptop is brand new so video card driver up-to-date (I checked manually as well).

I only have 2GB RAM which I know is on the low side (I've ordered an extra 2gb to add) but surely this will only affect running performance rather than not being able to start up at all?.

I run it in computer administrator.

I've tried running it in compatibility mode for every older OS on there. still no luck

-------

I've spent hours and hours searching this problem, it has come up quite a few times for various versions of the software and with different OS, with many solution suggested.

I feel I've tried every solution I've seen. Has noone found a fix for this problem?????

Really want this to work, fast response very much appreciated!

thanks, Hannah

10 answers to this question

Thanks for response,

I have already checked the toshiba website and it doesn't list a new driver for it.

To be on the safe side I just checked the Intel website as well:

Product Detected: Intel? HD Graphics

Current Driver Installed: 8.15.10.2189

A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

So seemingly no update :(

(the current driver date: 28/07/2010)

Any other suggestions?

Han

Guest jkelly

Out of curiosity, what folder is Vectorworks installed in?

Also, there are one or more vcredist executables in the resources folder of the DVD. Could you run those manually to ensure the proper DLLs are installed? I don't think this is your problem, but might as well cover all of our bases.

Edited by jkelly

Its in C: Program Files (x86) .

Which I think is really odd, surely that implies its a 32 bit program?

Please excuse my ignorance on that though, I may be talking rubbish.

I downloaded VW straight from the internet. It worked on my old laptop (broke laptop hence new one). But that ran on 32 bit win 7 pro.

Which is all making me think 64 bit is the problem? ..

Can't find a resources folder. There is however VW Resources qtr file. Tried opening it but windows couldn't recognize the file type; a quick search led me to quicktime player, but trying to open with this I got error 2048 (not file that quicktime player understands)

Guest jkelly

That is the correct location. Vectorworks is a 32 bit program, which is why it needs to be installed there. It is frequently used on 64-bit Windows, however.

As for the second part, you downloaded the installer from the internet? I'm talking about the files you downloaded then. Do you still have them? There should be an InstallVectorworks.exe, which has a folder called resources along side it. Inside the resources folder are the exes I mentioned above.

Sorry for such a slow reply! I gave up and worked on a different computer instead.

But I would still like this sorted for future projects...

When running the .exe files:

._vcredist_vs2008SP1_x86

and

._vcredist_x86

I get the message: The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.

However, when running them 'AS ADMINISTRATOR', I get:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\Hannah\Downloads\Vectorworks2010SP2SeriesEENGFull\Vect...\._vcredist_x86.exe'

Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

Running vcredist_vs2008SP1_x86 (.exe) opens Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Setup with the option of repair or uninstall. (seems fine).

Running vcredist_x86 (.exe) , I'm asked to accept the license agreement for Visual C++ 2005, and then allow the program to make changes to the computer (user center thing). again seems fine.

Thanks for your replies so far! hope we can get to the bottom of it!

Hannah

(I now have 4GB RAM)

Guest jkelly

Okay, so I've looked at this some more, and looking more closely at the DLL in question, it appears to be an ATI graphics driver issue. But looking at the specs for your machine, it doesn't seem it should have an ATI card. Are you sure you don't have a 660D laptop?