Improve Extrude Along Path

Kevin McAllister

Question

Please improve Extrude Along Path to include the following:

- origin point is clearly visible when editing the profile object after creation.

- the ability to click on the profile object and define the origin during the process of creation.

-automatic view alignment when editing either the path or profile. Right now you have to hunt around.

- the created extrude should be created on the current working plane not the ground plane.

Lately the behaviour when editing within Extrude Along Path elements (profile or path) has changed subtly with each service pack. Clearly there are things with the planar objects / 3D working procedures still being resolved. It would be great to get some improvements at the same time.

Thank you,

Kevin

7 answers to this question

I agree with all of these suggestions. I do like that in the new version(2001), one can see the relationship between the path and the profile if one is editing with "view others while in groups." That helps tremendously.

I use this tool for mouldings. And again I'd like to reiterate that the greatest thing would be to see this tool have wall like abilities, where you could insert a door or other object into the wall and have the extrude open up for it as well.

I'd also like to add, that while playing with the chain extrude tool last night I was struck that this tool is SO close to being a "build custom railing" tool. What would be nice:

-the ability to select the rail, the post, and the path instead of having to click around a path.

-the ability to choose an extrude or other 3d object as the post, instead of a profile that gets extruded.

If I'm understanding Kevin's "origin point" correctly, it's the 0,0 point at the intersection of dashed lines clearly visible when editing a profile in VW 2008. Has this really been abandoned subsequent to 2008?!? If so, bring it back!!

"- the ability to click on the profile object and define the origin during the process of creation." - Definitely!!

"- the created extrude should be created on the current working plane not the ground plane." _Definitely!!

And definitely to Grant's idea of EAP's that acknowledge objects in walls (though how this would be done and its interface could be a bit tricky...)

And a couple more I'd like to add:

1.) The ability to extrude profile symbols (change a crown molding's symbol, and all the EAP's using that symbol automatically update...)

2.) Profiles that retain their relationship with the ground plane when extruded along a 3D path, rather than randomly rotating about the path's axis. This would be especially hand for things like stone walls and handrails. (Oops, I think this was maybe actually addressed in 2011?...)

In any case, I support all the other suggestions here!

If I'm understanding Kevin's "origin point" correctly, it's the 0,0 point at the intersection of dashed lines clearly visible when editing a profile in VW 2008. Has this really been abandoned subsequent to 2008?!? If so, bring it back!!

It's there, sort of. At the moment those origin lines seem to appear/disappear with VW2011. The origin should also be a snap-able locus like in a symbol.

1.) The ability to extrude profile symbols (change a crown molding's symbol, and all the EAP's using that symbol automatically update...)

I vote for this. I would love to use symbols in Extrude Along Path objects.

Kevin