Better control of Deselect

Chris D

Question

This seems like a really basic one, but I was recently reminded how bad the basic select tool is in Vectorworks.

The trouble is that overlapping marquee selections, when using SHIFT to build up a complex selection, causes objects to be deselected. Tell me why? Any sane application would simply make you use a different modifier key to deselect.

Correct me if there is something I've missed in my 8 years on VW...or if this has changed since version 2008...otherwise my wish is for the ALT key to be required to deselect.

[Currently the ALT key is also used as a selection modifier to enable selection by a sort of cutting marquee rather than an enveloping marquee....so I guess a global preference would be required].

8 answers to this question

Chris, (please read all the way to the bottom before freaking out) while I can't disagree with your description of how basic selection and deselection *can* be frustrating, I feel that there might be something you're missing. VW's allows both classes and layers (plus groups, symbols, hybrid symbols) as 'containers' in which to place individual objects. Also we have Custom Selection, and can easily create scripts for special selection requirements, as long as the objects are named, classed or layered (or any combination of the three) and even more we can select by color, by lineweight, by fill, etc., etc...

Now having said that I do understand that we often have to deal with imported dwg files (and others) and that there is a large chance that these will contain a bunch of randomly classed objects that can (and usually are) really sloppy and will generally be a PITA to sort through. This is usually due to truly poor organizational and drafting skills by the original creator. You can't blame VW's for that!

All-in-all I get paid to do work, and all that is part of the job. I can complain, but software isn't magic (although it can seem quite magical when properly used). Seems more feasible to take a breath...

Ultimately what you are requesting here is reasonable, as long as it is a user choosable preference (because I don't ever want to have to hold ALT to deselect, especially since there is no ALT on a Mac keyboard.) Regards.

PS: I do know that Option is more or less the equivalent of ALT...

At one time in the distant past, Shift-Selection was additive. I remember someone at DG / NNA say this was changed to make it more consistent with they way selection is done in the Finder and in other programs. Well, I don't draw in the Finder or in other programs and I like the way it used to work. I'd love to see a user preference for this as I often need that feature. I also need the Select / Deselect toggle mode that currently exists. I've requested a preference at least once formally, but it never went anywhere. I'll try again. It's really not a good program when one mode is traded for another but both are needed.

Raymond

At one time in the distant past, Shift-Selection was additive. I remember someone at DG / NNA say this was changed to make it more consistent with they way selection is done in the Finder and in other programs. Well, I don't draw in the Finder or in other programs and I like the way it used to work. I'd love to see a user preference for this as I often need that feature. I also need the Select / Deselect toggle mode that currently exists. I've requested a preference at least once formally, but it never went anywhere. I'll try again. It's really not a good program when one mode is traded for another but both are needed.

Raymond

User Pref would be great.

At least then there'd be a choice . . . . . . .