Joining Nurbs togather w/out grouping

Good morning ladies and gents,

I am trying to make a 3D model of my museum- which looks like a lopsided pyramid. I have the plan and elevation drawings, and I have been using the plan view to draw lines that are then converted to nurbs, so I can take the elevation numbers and plug them into the Z field. This is creating a nice shell of the pyramid shape, which I hope to use as a guide. I have now come to the point where I need to add horizontal lines to my vertical ones. It seem like the easiest way to do this would be to use the vertical lines as a guide, attach the horizontals to the verticals, join them all together and add the Z info for the apex and then the base vertices- however, when the NURBS are grouped together, I cannot individually select vertices and assign a z value. I have also been having trouble joining the nurbs in any way other than grouping. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I am adding a jpeg that shows the shape I am working with. Basically I want to make a flat triangle with windows on it, then drag it into the elevation it needs to be at by grabbing its vertices. Alternative methods welcome!

Welcome to the forum. It would help if we knew what version of VW and what computer OS you are using.

A couple things that might help:

1. Nurbs curves can be combined. Select 2 (or more) nurbs curves whose endpoints are exactly coincident. Then Modify > Compose. You now have one nurbs curve

2. You can edit vertices of nurbs curves. There are two ways.

-1: Select the nurbs curve. Select the 3D reshape tool from the 3D toolset (or double click the nurbs curve - in recent versions this will automatically select the 3D reshape tool).

There are modes to move a vertex, add a vertex, subtract a vertex, and change vertex type. There are also modes to constrain a vertex move to a specific axis.

-2: Select the nurbs curve. In the OIP change the Move pulldown from Entire Object to Vertex Only. Clicking the buttons next to Edit will cause different vertices to flash as they are selected. Then you can enter the desired location for just that vertex into the OIP.

hth

mk

Edited by michaelk

The 3d Contour tool might be of use to divide the pyramid face after it's tilted in place. Set the increment then click twice on the drawing to determine the endpoints of the prime contour. For sills parallel to ground plane, use the endpoints of your NURBS triangles (NURBS surface points may not be coincident with the edge endpoints, so zoom in). A group of straight, parallel NURBS is created on the surface. If the tool spreads the contours onto adjacent surfaces, group (of one) the surface you want, and use the tool inside the group.

Add another set in the vertical, or other direction.

Anyway, good luck with the pyramid.

-B