major crashing issues

Hmmm,

I haven't been here a while. Let me say that OSX and 9.51 on a G4 are very solid here, except for a minor bug where the saved views occassionally go grey, which I reported. I don't have any desire to go back to OS9 and earlier mac systems. When they said X was going to be a more stable system, I was hoping they were right. My experience is that they were indeed right, very right.

Donald

Hate to say it Katie, but while the fix that you suggested to my freezing issue, solved the problem for as long ass it hass been since my last post...(04.11.2002)(you suggested upgrading to 9.2.2 and getting the latest vid card drivers) It has now started crashing in the same way with the same frequency (30 seconds). Again I am running VW 8.5.2 on a Mac G4 with OS 9.2.2, ATI video card (I don't know exactly what since my mac was shipped without the insides listed). It freezes when I am trying to move an object any object, any size. Even when I am not scrolling off the screen while moving it freezes, and it freezes within 30-40 seconds of restarting VW.Does disk fragmentation have a part in this because I am going to defrag tonight when I am out of the office to see if this helps. I have severe fragmentation apparently. Anything else that anyone can suggext would help too.

Please don't tell me my computer is about to die

Thankks

• 3 weeks later...

Katie,

I solved my the crashing problem!!

I did need to update my graphics driver. It was a few generations old. I also had two different graphics drivers. (one from a previous card) Both were active in my system.

THANK A BUNCH!!

Jon M.

I too have experienced some mysterious crashes. I'm using Spotlight 9.5.1 w/RenderWorks on a G3 Powerbook (firewire version) with 320MB ram and OSX 10.1.4. It is not as frequent as some have listed but enough to be quite frustrating. In addition to the crashes I'm having a couple of wierd things I didn't see on the lists. The first on is a problem with screen redraws. I have drawings of 3-D objects in front, right, left, top and isometric views (each on a different layer) . many times when I change a view for one layer I get the other layers redrawn over the top of the active layer object. The only way I've found to fix it is to go back through the layers, change the view to top/plan view, restore it to the appropriate view for the layer and rerender - repeating for eadh layer. The other problem is the data display bar goes invisible from time to time. Any ideas?

Mike

Mike, As for your data display bar going away, it could have to do wtih the view and tool you have selected. When you see this behaviour again, switch to the 2d selection tool and see if the data display bar pops up again.

The layer problem you are having, I'm a little unclear about. Do you have the layer options set to show others or show nsap mod others?You are changing the view of the active layer, and the other ones are staying in the view they were last active as. You want all the active layers to switch to the view at the same time?Is this correct?If that is the case, you might way to freshen up on Layer Linking in the User's Guide. This allows you to link several layers togther, creating one layer. You can change the view of all the layers together when that layer is active.

[ 05-17-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

Katie,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to explain the layers thing. I started using MiniCad with version 3.1 in 1989 but as a theatre designer I've not explored the full capabilities of the program. What I'm doing is creating a drafting plate showing front, top, side and isometric views. Each view is on a seperate non-linked layer with it's view and rendering style defined for each layer. What I experienced is while working in the show others mode with only the desired layers visible a redraw of all visible layers centered on the active layer view.

When I go back to other visible layers and select all, the selection corners appear in the correct place but the view is still everything piled on top of each other in the center. If I change the view to top/plan (or anything other than the original view) it will redraw correctly.

It is way wierd. I also have redraw problems when I delete lines from time to time. The lines stay but can not be selected and if the view is changed the deleted items are gone. It seems like a video problem.

I've not had much time to work with Spotlight yet but I hope to get up to speed over the summer so I can teach it in the fall.

Mike

Matthew

Thanks for the tip. I did in fact put some fonts that I used with OS 9 into the Library/Fonts folder this am. Have since removed all those w/moldification dates of 1987 or earlier. Still have some '89's and 90's but they seem to work ok for now.

Thanks again

RE Major crash issues:

Hi Folks,

I've been having crashes that started when trying to use the text tool. Here's today's history:1. Opened an existing file from our server, attempted to use text tool to edit existing block - VW 9.5.1 crashed (mac osx server returned error 1028)

2. Moved file to my hard drive, and attempted same - VW crashed

3. Launched VW from Dock Icon, new file opened automatically. Attempted to create new text block w/text tool - VW crashed

4. Launching VW by clicking on recently created file and 4 or 5 month old file yielded the same results, from the server and from the hard drive.

Other software seems to be fine, even the dog-like netscape 6.

Till now VW 9.5.1 has been playing well w/OSX v10.1.4, with only occasional & tolerable crashes.But today, I am totally incapacitated !!! Help!!

And thanks, in advance...

CD

System specs:G4 4001 gb memoryATI Rage 128y