Smart point 'extension lines' snap not working

Even after double-clicking on the appropriate snap icon in the snap palette to set 'extension lines' as active, I am still not able to get this to work.

What I am trying to do is continue along a property line in a uniform/straight direction from an adjacent property boundary that follows the same bearing. However, I am doing this from a hand sketch and not from survey data. And the property line that was drawn is wavy, b/c it is drawn by hand.

I set all smart points needed (I think) to activate this, then click at the intersection to begin the line (I've even tried polyline to see if that makes a difference -- it doesn't). Then I hover over the point and line (and even opposite beginning point of referenced line) then expect to see a dashed line that says 'extension line' or something like that, but nothing.

Very frustrating. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!!

Oh, and I'm working in VW 2008 Landmark on a PC.

• 4 weeks later...

Unbelievable. Worked perfect, and works to find the perpendicular of the lines too. That solves so many of my problems and saves me so much time. Why isn't this a tip/trick on the help menu?

Thanks so much for your help, and sorry it took so long to respond, I never got an email that said someone responded and then I just forgot until now.

It's the little things like these issues that are really pissing me off about VW. So much so, that I'm contemplating going back to AC.. And I hate myself for even saying that. But unless I can find a reasonably priced class to take nearby, I'm just missing too many of the basics to waste any more time trying to teach myself.

Cheers!!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Steelbreeze, You can find hints like Cipes mentioned at the Knowledgebase, particularly the online video library. I demonstrated a tip similar to the one Cipes mentioned in our Tips and Tricks for VW Landmark 2010, with the setting a chord depth. Check out this link to see it in action

http://download2cf.nemetschek.net/www_movies/2010/Tips&Tricks_Land2010.mov

Knowledgebase can be found here

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/

Part of the Knowledgebase is the Online Video Library found here

http://kbase.vectorworks.net/categories/Videos/

I too did not have my responses in this forum tied to my emails before...but now I do...so now if someone responds or even leaves a message for me, it lets me know by email.

Keep on the forum and post as you have questions...glad to have you as a part of the community.

-Eric

Thanks for the heads-up Eric, on all fronts. I thought that I had set the preference to send me notifications via email, but will have to double-check that.

I am also bookmarking the sites/links you've provided. These will certainly help me greatly in the future.

I really want to stick with VW, as I already have lots of time and $$ invested into it. The learning curve is higher for some things than I had imagined (or had remembered from my days at PSU), and I don't have the budget to take a class at this time. So, for now, it's me and you fellas tryin' to make a go of it.

Thanks again to you and Peter for your timely help.