Select tool problem with symbols

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded to Vectorworks spotlight 2011 from VW2008, and have run into a problem with selecting symbols.

When I place a instrument symbol (either 3rd party symbol (softsymbol) or built in libraries) and then use the Selection tool to reselect them, I have to select a large area around the symbol for it to highlight.

This doesn't effect other items such as lines/rectangles ect.

Here is a picture of what is happening:

Selecting just around the symbol does nothing:

Img1.jpg

Selecting a larger area around the symbol makes it select (note that the unit next to it still hasn't selected unless I make an even larger selection):

Img2.jpg

This never used to happen in VW2008. It's proving to be quite difficult, particularly when working with very large groups of symbols close together.

Any help would be great!

Matt

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Matt

It is an issue I'm afraid. However, an easy workaround is to use the Alt key when dragging your selection marquee. That will select anything touched by your selection even if it isn't completely enclosed, so you can select just the symbol you want.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Hi Matt; I know that this has been submitted as a bug for some time. i don't know it's current status. in my rough tests i've found the problem seems to be confined to symbols that have been transformed to spotlight devices. and while Tamsin's workaround is effective, i inevitably [and accidentally] select several extraneous objects when i use the alt [option] key. for that reason, i just stick with shift-click and call it done.

hth,

shelley