Site Model Using Numeric Date

I have been battling this for a while now. I am fully aware there is a way to map out a site using contour lines but all i have is a lot of numbers placed around the page which correspond to heights.

I there any way of processing these numbers into extrusion heights and ultimately creating a 3D model of my site rather than playing the biggest game of connect the dots!!

Any help would be incredibly useful!

Thanks

Luke

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Luke

What are these numbers? Are they from your surveyor? If you select them, what does it say in the Object Info palette?

If they are 3D Loci, with Z values, you can select them all and convert them to Stakes (Modify>Convert>Stake Objects from 3D Loci).

Then you can select them all and run Landmark>Create Site Model.

This will give you a contour plan and a 3D representation, which you can modify to calculate cut and fill etc.

Yes, you can even use the 3d loci to create the site model directly.

Just select them Landmark>Create Site Model

If they are just text objects then you'll probably need a script or a bucket of patience to create loci/stake objects manually.

If they are from a surveyor as Tamsin suggests, you might be able to get the survey point coordinates in an Excel spreadsheet which you can import to create the SM

Luke your numbers are probably the spot height values and/or survey points so they won't be any use to you.

If there are 3D loci in your file you can use these to generate the DTM (only convert them to stake objects if you want a printable height value for each spot height).

If there aren't 3D loci in your file then you will need to laboriously create your own 3D loci or stake objects for each of your spot height points. Double check each Z value to ensure there are no errors.

Or if you can go back to the survey source see if they can give you the survey in one of the formats that can be directly used to create a DTM: 3D contours, 3D loci or tab delimited file.