Importing DWG - cannot scale or create new layer

Philippa

Question

Please help! I've imported a DWG file (floorplan) to Vectorworks and the scale is completely wrong. When I try to draw new objects onto the plan they appear massive - and it says I cannot change the layer scale when I try to under 'Document Set-Up'.

Have tried "Modify - Scale Objects - Symmetric by distance" but the measurements are still wrong on the supposedly corrected drawing.

Have tried to create a new design layer on top with the correct scale, but when I do I can't even see the DWG layer underneath (whichever "View - Class Option" I select. It doesn't let me change the Layer Option to "show/snap others" - not sure if this would help?).

I am a CAD novice so really struggling, and need to import this DWG successfully to even get started! Any help would be massively appreciated :(

6 answers to this question

Hi Phillipa,

I would guess that that you are in a Sheet Layer? You can usually tell if you are b/c the objects on the Sheet will be Viewports. A Viewport is a container that contains data from Design Layer(s). If you try to draw directly in a Sheet Layer it will always be in 1:1 scale (obviously wildly out of scale). If that's the case, then you need to double click (or right click) on the Viewport to either Edit Design Layer(s) (which is where all the parent data exists, or enter the Annotations which is where you can add dimensions notes, etc to a particular VP.

I would suggest that you follow one or more of the basic VW's tutorials to get up to speed with how the program functions...

Also, telling us what OS and VW's versions you are running can be very helpful.

Everything Peter said, plus:

1. Sometimes dwg files have big groups of elements lumped into some kind of AutoCAD entity which import as Vectorworks symbols - ie there might be an entire floor plan existing as a single symbol on a Vectorworks design layer. Symbols usually do not scale with the VW Scale Objects Command. Test this by selecting an object which will not scale and read its object type in the Object Information Palette (OIP). If it is a symbol and you want it to be just regular vectors, select the symbol, then click in the menu bar Modify>Convert>Convert to Group (not same as Group Objects).

2. ACAD may produce dwg files which import to VW with the drawing info in several VW layers. After you import, look at the layer list. Set layer visibility to Active Only, and activate each one in turn. Select All and Zoom to Objects - you may see a cluster of objects in a giant blank area - scroll zoom to that cluster. One or more of the layers may have the vectors you want, while other layers contain some sort of AutoCAD viewports, or sheet boundaries, or notes, etc.

3. The imported objects may not be correct scale because your VW import options are not optimal. Import again into a new fresh file and look through each field in the import dialog. Especially click into the Import Options>Use Settings>Set Custom Options. Scale problems can often be corrected with the custom Units Settings in File boxes. Sometimes the default Set VW Units to Match does not work, so untick that and choose Feet, or something appropriate in the pulldown.

Post back if you are finding success or understanding better what is not working.

-B

It seems to have worked! Thank you so much Peter and Benson.

I was in Sheet Layer and went to Edit Design Layer (had a bit of trouble finding that box but got there in the end!), and now I seem to be 'in' - creating additions that look right and measure right.

Thank you so much again - this forum has been a god-send!

Philippa

Ah. I spoke too soon as as soon as I tried to export the final drawing (with my additions) as a PDF half of the drawing disappeared!

I saved each step of the way - but now some of my additions (random lines + objects) appear on the sheet layer but only very tiny. A lot of the object have just vanished.... hours of work seems to have disappeared! I have been saving all along but it doesn't seem to have worked...

Any ideas?

Phillipa, sorry you are having trouble. As a general rule, objects do not just disappear. I suspect you might need to look at what Classes are visible/invisible. Check also whether all of the design layers are in the the same scale.

Additionally, VW's is an extremely difficult application to simply jump in to without any sort of training. I would highly recommend Jonathan Pickup's fine manuals and perhaps some in-person training if you can. Once you learn the basics then you will be off and running. Be patient with the program and with yourself.

Peter is sooo right - there is lots to learn. The manuals are great (some cost), and even just reading the Help topics and perusing the Get Started guides in the Vectorworks Free Resources area could be helpful.

http://www.nemetschek.net/training/free_resource.php

Half of the drawing disappearing might be print settings (or it might be something else)

Look in File>Page Setup

Pages area should usual have Vertical 1 and Horizontal 1

Printable Area - make sure the numeric size is correct for the paper you are printing on (or page size for pdf save) and click into the Printer Setup

Peter's idea of design layers at different scales could be right on. You may have the Unified View activated (Menu>View>Unified View) and the Unified View Options set to Ignore layers with Different Scale

Also, check your sheet layer viewport visibilities - activate the sheet layer, select the viewport, click the Layers button in the Object Info Palette (OIP). In the columns on the left side of the dialog window, bold eyeball means visible, "x" means invisible (middle column) and grey eyeball means grey. Click in these columns to change visibility. Same with the Classes button in the OIP.

Best luck sorting this out. Forum folks will help if they can.

-B