Fill of DTM in section viewport

Hi,

I want to control the fill color of the dtm object in my section viewport, but I can't seem to do it.

How can this be done? A white surface doesn't show right on a section.

Another question that is related to this:

I normally draw two floors on top of each other to get a grass layer on top of the thick earth layer. So in section it shows like actual ground. Can I do this with a dtm?

Hi DWorks, not sure if this will help but here's one idea: Due to a couple of factors (one that SVP's take forever to update when the Site Model is included in the section, and two that I don't really want anything more than the line of grade showing graphically) I usually just update the VP, then trace the line of grade in the annotations, then turn off the Site Model (either by layer or by class), then update the VP again. Then I can draw whatever 2d earth/fill/etc. I need in the annotations and know it is correctly placed... I realize that changes made will require a revision of this, but altogether it seems easiest and fastest, to me.

Hi DWorks, not sure if this will help but here's one idea: Due to a couple of factors (one that SVP's take forever to update when the Site Model is included in the section, and two that I don't really want anything more than the line of grade showing graphically) I usually just update the VP, then trace the line of grade in the annotations, then turn off the Site Model (either by layer or by class), then update the VP again. Then I can draw whatever 2d earth/fill/etc. I need in the annotations and know it is correctly placed... I realize that changes made will require a revision of this, but altogether it seems easiest and fastest, to me.

I did it this way for now. But it would be great if you can just change the fill color by class. The DTM really needs to be updated.

This off topic but sort of related: Are DTM contours same as source contours. I don't have the example, but I think I created some DTMs (probably VW2009) from imported contour polys and saw that the plan view DTM contours were not coincident with the source polys. Any others experience this? Or are they even expected to match?

-B

I have seen this often. I suspect that this is an error in the Site Model, but I'm not certain. Seems to me that if I use 1ft contours to generate a Site Model, then ask the Site Model to show me 1ft contours, they ought to match. But they don't... I will do a further digging (no pun intended) and file a bug if appropriate. Thanks for the reminder Benson...

I agree. What is annoying to me is that in rendered views the DTM shows all of the multitude of triangulated lines. Very visually distracting, and difficult to determine where the actual line of the grade is...

I found an easier way to have a 2D section of a dtm. You can use a dtm section. You select the line or polyline the section is to be cut, then you choose the command and you'll have your dtm section to be used in a section. Very handy!

Hi DWorks, yes that command is great if you only need to see the Site Model in section. But if you want to see how building elements relate to the Site Model then I'm afraid it doesn't really fit the bill. Anyway, thanks for reminding me about that command as I had not played with it in quite a while. It is really good for looking at a particular section and comparing existing to proposed, which is probably what its intent is...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Section Viewport works much better on a site model and building now. I have had some success by duplicating the resulting Viewport - one looks at the model and has one rendering mode - the other looks at the building with the relevant rendering mode for that view. Overlay the building duplicate on top of the other.

The Section Viewport works much better on a site model and building now. I have had some success by duplicating the resulting Viewport - one looks at the model and has one rendering mode - the other looks at the building with the relevant rendering mode for that view. Overlay the building duplicate on top of the other.

It doesn't work for me because the shape of the cut from the dtm model is always in front of all the rest of the building, So I can't see my foundations.

• 2 months later...
I found something wierd today. I think it's a bug but here it goes:

When you have a section viewport that goes through a dtm, the fill of the dtm section will take the fill currently active in the attributes palette.

I finally know how to set the fill color! But it works strange.

Just if others want to know

You can set 3D triangles color in DTM settings.It should determine color of section fill

3D triangles ...

I found something wierd today. I think it's a bug but here it goes:

When you have a section viewport that goes through a dtm, the fill of the dtm section will take the fill currently active in the attributes palette.

I finally know how to set the fill color! But it works strange.

Just if others want to know

You can set 3D triangles color in DTM settings.It should determine color of section fill

3D triangles ...

That's not working here because we don't show our dtm triangulated.