Possible to draw 3D perspective over Jpg in Vectorworks??

Im trying to figure out how or if its possible to make a perspective in vectorworks with a picture set in the background and with vanishing point would be nice as well.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, Im good at making 3D models but sometimes I'd rather import a picture in and do a quick perspective sketch over a section of a property full with the in program textures.

If this is possible im not going about it the right way. I started at first by importing a Jpeg in and then thought I could start drawing on top. It seemed like it would work but everything I did ended up behind the Jpg even if I kept sending it to the back.

Any help on the proper way to do this would be awesome, thx

Thanks for the link Cipes, Cool Program I will definately bookmark that page for future use :)

However Im not trying to superimpose a 3D model onto a jpeg, I want to be able to keep an image in vectorworks at the far background and work on top of that image.

Currently I'm wanting to draw a proposed patio on top of a picture coming out into the forground. I start drawing it and all my lines disapear behind the jpg. Would be nice for the extrudes and 3d shapes to project forward as i draw on top of the photo.

That helped keep the image in the background thank you. Now I still have a problem drawing on top of image with a 3d poly or something I can give texture. The perspective box with 4 corners blocks out my image that is underneath grrrrrrr. If only it was transparent!

theres got to be an easier way to draw on top of a photo like you would sketch a perspective :(

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Probably the best way to do it is to create a Renderworks Background from the JPG file and set the design layer to use it. The problem is that you'll then need to get the document in the same perspective view as the render background (the JPG image).

If I were doing this, I'd create some very basic reference objects (existing objects visible in the photo) that can help when setting the view, then I'd use CameraMatch (CM) to set the view. While CM is designed to set the view within a viewport, once the view is set, you can edit the viewport's design layers (by right-clicking the viewport and choosing "Edit Design Layers") and VW will bring you to the design layer set to the same perspective view. Once in the design layer, make sure the Renderworks background is set to the layer so you see it in Renderworks render modes. I'd then create a saved view so that I can quickly get back to the view in case I need to change the view while creating objects. The only problem is that you will need to work in a render mode to see the Render Background (the fastest mode being OpenGL). Also, drawing in a perspective mode over the image may work ok for a schematic for the client, but it will likely be fairly inaccurate.

FYI: While CameraMatch has some great tools for superimposing a rendered model over a photo background, the main part of the plug-in is for matching the perspective view of the photo. You could try the process I described above and try manually setting the perspective view without CM, but I predict that to be time consuming and frustrating. While I may be somewhat biased ;-) , I'm sure other CM users out there would agree.

Now I still have a problem drawing on top of image with a 3d poly or something I can give texture.

If you are drawing in a wireframe view you can temporarily remove the fill in the object by selecting it and setting the fill to nothing in the attributes palette, then when its done you can add the fill again.

If you're drawing in a rendered view consider drawing in a wireframe view and rendering when done.

I haven't tried this but you can try setting class or layer opacity which might enable you to see 'through' fills and textures......

Edited by Vincent C