Light Objects

I wouldn't recommend turning a very complex thing into an area light or line light, though. Rendering times will shoot through the roof. As I understand it, a line light is basically a BUNCH of point sources all along a path. That is a lot of computing.

Depending on what you are trying to do, I may just add a light source (point, spot or directional are all faster to render) to a symbol.

Of course, I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Is this with an Area Light? If so, select it and uncheck Render Geometry on the Object Info palette.

Try the glow shader though. You need Indirect Lighting switched on to get the effect of a glow, but they are cool.

Edited by Tamsin Slatter
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

With a glow shader, you need to have another light source in the drawing (even if it is switched off) to turn off the default light. You also need to have the Indirect Lighting settings turned on to see the light bouncing on the surface of other objects.

Bruce, 10000 Lumens isn't that much.

It's 3 Flourecents with 1.2m. From a 100W Bulb you get approx. 900 Lumens

So it depends pretty much on the Size of the Space that you are illuminating with your Bulb, how much brightness it causes.

With the Area Light in the sample File inside the Room the Effect of the DIST Fall set to none is drastical.

To get the Glow shader working you must create a Custom RW Setting with Indirect Lighting enabled.

In the Glow Texture must be checked, that it emits light.

Find the Sample File attached.

It has a CIrcle with a Glow Shader and an Area Light with 8000 Lumens inside.

To try arround I moved the Arealight out of the Room.