3D dimensions

GWS

Question

I wish that when dimensioning in a viewport the dimension tool would recognise 3D arcs, cirlces etc so I don't have to redraw 2d arcs over anything that requires a dimension.

It feels like I have to do things twice and if the design changes ALL the dimensions have to be changed manually as they are not associative, even the regular linear dimensions.

I don't really feel that we have 3D dimensions in VW yet, just text that can be put on a plane. Which I might add doesn't render properly in viewports...another wish I suppose

6 answers to this question

The beauty of recent versions of VW is, that Circle and Arc Centres actually are now available and visible in 3D objects and if you pick up the Tape Measure and Line Tools it IS already possible to get an accurate reading or line . . . . . . .

So, forgive my ignorance here, why can't the Dims Tools pick up on this available data?

I gave 3d dimensioning a try for a simple kitchen layout. While it looked..okay in design layers..., once I went to viewports I couldn't get the text to read clearly. So my vision of a nice rendering with 3d dimensions went out the window.

If image props can be made to always face the camera, why can't dimensions always align to to the viewport?

There's no need to for me to even throw in my 2 cents regarding dimensioning arcs. It's an obvious glaring shortcoming of the program.