Purchasing Advice

I have been a Diehl-Graphsoft/Nemetschek user since Blueprint in 1989. I have been using VW11.5 on my trusty 12" PowerBook G4 for several years now (yes I have draw working plans for 10k sq ft houses on that screen). My main machine is now a 13.3 MBP on which I cannot run 11.5. Looking for feedback on the move to 2011.

I use CAD as a utility to assist me in simple to complex working drawings for custom homes as well as the odd mechanical engineering or industrial design HOBBY - such as designing a new bracket to hold my cellphone on my dashboard.

I do not have much use for photorealistic rendering.

Considering upgrading to VW2011 Fundamentals. One of the things I am hoping for is better dxf/dwg importing ie: Received dwg from Modular Home manufacturer and be able to snap and edit.

Thanks in a advance for your feedback.

Edited by John Lancelotta
Wow! 94 views and no thanks to anyone here I have discovered a trial download to investigate for myself.

There are a lot of helpful people on this forum but they're also busy trying to make a living, so you can help yourself by taking an extra 5-10 minutes to make sure your query is crystal clear. (for instance I remember scanning your initial post and because I didn't determine what is was in 10 seconds I moved on)

A really effective tactic is to start with your query right off the bat and then follow up with any other text.

Wow! 94 views and no thanks to anyone here I have discovered a trial download to investigate for myself.

Wow!

Maybe anyone here wouldn't know how to buy something which hasn't been for sale for 2 years

Thanks, that is purchasing advice.

Maybe a smart ass like you would realize the reference to 2009 was tongue in cheek after reading posts lamenting changes in 2011 relative to 2010 and 2009.

Of course my topic is about purchasing advice on 2011 in spite of the fact that I have read that some here prefer not run that version (which is why one might consider trying to find 2009 to buy).

How does it runs on a MacBook Pro? (IT = VW2011)

How does it perform on dwg/dxf file exchange? (IT = VW2011)

These are now rhetorical questions as I am running the trial version.

Cheers!

MBP 2008 is working fine for me with VW 2011.

Have ported in DWGs from two large projects - one is a mile of street improvements, the other is a school renovation site with new buildings. Usual problems with world drawing origin hundreds of miles from the vectors, but I can work through that. And the hundreds of classes, hatches, line/dash styles in the ACAD drawings. Nothing that can't be sorted. I just sent off some VW to DWG vectors - I will post back with issues.

-B

MBP 2008 is working fine for me with VW 2011.

Have ported in DWGs from two large projects - one is a mile of street improvements, the other is a school renovation site with new buildings. Usual problems with world drawing origin hundreds of miles from the vectors, but I can work through that. And the hundreds of classes, hatches, line/dash styles in the ACAD drawings. Nothing that can't be sorted. I just sent off some VW to DWG vectors - I will post back with issues.

-B

Thank you.

So far so good on my trial. Imported DWG no problem other than not choosing correct scale.

It is a pretty slow to load but runs fine so far.

Opens my 11.5 files fine - that was a concern about which I did not ask.

There are some wall joining differences that I don't understand yet but I have gotten around that for the sake of productivity.