rendering a NURBS curve

rfc

hi folks,

I'm trying to model in 3D. I'm used to using 3D polys or solids, but I'd like to explore using NURBS curves as they seem to have some advantages with regard to ease of editing, etc. (for example a 3D ploy has many more vertices to edit...i.e....TOO many, when i want to create an inclined plane with a curved edge, and a NURBS curve seems much easier to use for such things).

However, when i convert a 2D poly to a NURBS curve, the object info palette doesn't give me render options, and seems to treat the curve as just a wireframe.

I can't find anything about this in the blog here or via the Vectorworks knowledgebase.

Any hints on how to create NURBS curves that can be textured/rendered will be appreciated.

Thanks! rodney

All the above, plus

For some NURBS curves and curve networks another choice is Model>3d Power Pack>Create Surface from Curves.

Anyway, a NURBS curve is an outline, not a surface. There is usually a way to create a NURBS surface from a NURBS curve or collection of curves.

A 3d Locus can be included in lofts and other NURBS surface creation processes.

-B

Well, I've extruded the 2D poly. Then used Extract on the top surface to create a 3D NURBS surface.

Now i just need to figure out how to move the vertices to the right Z-space points along the edges by tweaking the U and V values. Wish me luck.

And yes it does render!

Thanks M and B!

rodney

rodney in Denmark

17" MacBook Pro, 2.66Ghz i7, 8 GB

Nvidia GForce GT 330M

Mac OS 10.6.6

VW 2011 SP2, Architect + Renderworks