Unable to use Shell tool on locked object

In constructing an organic roof element using nurbs and the 2-rail loft tool, when trying to add thickness with the shell tool the roof element is locked, I have tried unlocking, ungrouping, converting to various other 3D objects (which also don't work with the shell command), etc.

Any suggestions on why this element might be locked when attempting to use the shell command?

Using VW Designer 2010

Thanks.

Replying to both recent responses:

The object's section was drawn using the polyline (bezier) tool to create a curve in front view, convert to nurbs, rotate 30 degrees in right view. Then draw two straight splines using the nurbs curve tool to a 3D locus point in left isometric view - effectively creating a coved triangle. Rail one: nurbs line, rail two: nurbs line, profile: curved nurbs base of the triangle to create what is now called a nurbs surface.

Shell tool selected, thickness set (outside), when clicking on the object it says "no selection - locked" I attached the file to this message.

I am not sure what the "L" shortcut referred to is? The piece seems pretty simple.

This project is an attempt to recreate an earlier tutorial video "Curved Forms" to make an undulating curved roof done in VW 10.5. - 10MB so too large to attach.

Thanks.

L invokes the Split tool.

The locked object information is incorrect - probably a bug

It looks like there's an issue with the vertices, but if you slice off the very tip L) you will successfully be able to shell the surface. (You need to reverse the normal if you want to shell the inside)

The triangular object has infinite curvature at the very tip and so it cannot be shelled. If you don't want to slice off the tip, you can manually create the offset surface (don't use the offset tool as it will also do strange things around the tip). Then extract all the side curves and make lofts between them. Then add solid the surfaces. Sometimes you cannot do this all at once but have to add one surface to the solid at a time. You should end up with a bonafide solid, that can be used in further ops.

Kaare:

Thanks, I tried the tip slice and still not able to shell the object, it remained locked. It seems either the file or the procedure in Designer 2011 (even with SP4 installed) is flawed/corrupt. Will try the other procedure

How does one go about notifying VectorWorks about problems like this?

Thanks,

John Roloff

Hi John

I managed to do this by doing a similar process to Kaare's suggestion.

I extracted the 3 lines but before lofting I moved one the points at the tip by a small amount using the OIP.

I then lofted using 2 profiles and a curve (third option) and was then able to shell the surface.

Hope this helps

(I am using VW2011 though)