origin dragging default

michaelk

Question

7 answers to this question

OK with me Michael.

i'd also like to see "Set Origin" button buried about 4 layers deep in one of the more obscure unfathomable seldom used unrelated menus so you REALLY have search for it to switch it on. At which point you have fill in an indicypherable tax declaration type of online form so complicated that it scares any one attempting to be associated with this option and is solidly informed of the potential danger they about inflict on all friends and family and of course ones own personal sanity.

I can't fathom why moving the origin causes VW so much anxiety, it's a simple translation. What hope is there for developing complex surfaces if this is so difficult?

Didn't I read somewhere of the benefits of moving the origin, something where the coordinate system/ dimensions on a Swiss building site references a global origin or something?

I do agree, it shouldn't be possible to move it accidentally. Should at least have a push-and-twist cap. I always considered that the Cmd 9 shortcut was way too dangerous.

Cmd 9, or click on the corner of the rulers, or import a DWG...or even just randomly as you go through a rotated viewport that also has a rotated view. There are any number of ways to accidentally move the origin in VW. Foolproof it isn't.

This wouldn't be so bad if the user origins were more formal, like AutoCAD's UCS...where the origin is named and saved and has it's data available to view...but no...just random origins, accidentally moved many a time.

Other foolproofing required:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=146714

That's just the point Dieter, the user origin is useless for elevations (as of 2008, didn't test on 2011 when I had the chance..). Hatches always use the absolute origin, so your brickwork will never course correctly, the elevation benchmark tool likewise will not agree with the X,Y, coordinates of the cursor.

That's just the point Dieter, the user origin is useless for elevations (as of 2008, didn't test on 2011 when I had the chance..). Hatches always use the absolute origin, so your brickwork will never course correctly, the elevation benchmark tool likewise will not agree with the X,Y, coordinates of the cursor.

Well, Why don't you just draw those elevations from the origin then? We do it and it's very easy. We always have the floor finishing of the floor level at the origin. But that's for 2D elevations not from the model.

I was talking about elevations from viewports from the model. When you draw from the origin, it's much easier to make those elevations in many, many ways. For example, making a front elevation will directly put the viewport in the middel of the page. You can then set the crop and annotations for it. Then copy it to another presentation layer and change the view to back view. If you had drawn from the origin, you'll not need to alter the crop neither the annotations. And that's only one of the benefits.