Section Viewport Issues

jfmarch

We have begun using section viewports for a small house project but note that we cannot see any fills for walls, slabs or roofs. Everything appears as clear lines. What are we doing wrong.

Here is the viewport on the design layer, and a snap of the advanced settings dialog box:

It has not, and I cannot figure it out intuitively at least. One thing we notice is the the sheet layer is a VP that references a design layer VP that references another DL VP that has the sections though the model.

I have all the required classes on, I think, and the VP advanced properties are set as I noted.

No matter what I do, the result is the same. We would like to get these things working, but since this is a pro bono project, we might need to end up drawing over the VP with annotations to get it to look right.

I will note the that floors are floors on the model, but the foundation is a slab with a gravel hatch fill.

I just can't get it working.

Tamsin,

Changing those settings worked- for only some items in the drawing. Not all our wall types are showing the components, and the slabs are just not working (see my other post).

I am fearing the our model file might be corrupt as nothing I do seems to work properly, and some slab styles are really messed up...

Well, I tried changing the fill attributes on some walls and slabs, as Farookay suggested, but that does not change anything in the target section VP.

I think at this point we are going to give up and over draw our sections for now. It is unfortunate as these tools seem like a good timesaver, but it just is not working for us now.

We look forward to SP3 if that fixes some of this stuff. Thanks to those who made suggestions here...

Well we are almost there. Thanks to Jeff Ouelette, we now have a better understanding of these, but we are still having some issue.

Specifically, we cannot get the walls to show fills in section viewports on a sheet layer. The setting- I am pretty sure- are the same for both of these examples. The only difference is that the one that works is generated in a single model file. The one that is not working is a target sheet file referencing the model file. Any suggestions?

Jeff-

I checked the classes and the VP settings and everything is as it should be to show. But let me back up and clarify the setup and issue.

The project is setup so that there is a 'main' model file (which is the one that you worked on) and then there are separate files which are for the 'sheets' that the main model is referenced into. In the files for the sections, there is a design layer with a DLVP on it that references back to the main model and is showing all the pertinent layers and classes. From that DLVP 'model', we have generated two section viewports that are showing as a Sheet Layer VPs. These are the sections that we can not get to show the wall components even though all that proper settings for the VPs are checked/unchecked and the proper visibilities are set.

The wall components show just fine in sections that we cut in the main file, and they show just fine in Top/Plan view in the Sheet file, but as soon as you cut a section of the referenced model in the Sheet file, the components do not want to show in the section. And to make matters stranger, when I reference the section VP in the model file, all the components show just fine in the Sheet file. So for right now, that seems like the work around, but it would be nicer to be able to cut the sections in the Sheet file for flexibility in work flow.

And as a follow up edit - I am recreating this is a test file, so it seems to be inherent to the program.

Edited by rcarch

Yes- we did several tests last night on this, including creating a fresh project and the same thing happens. While the referenced plans show all the wall components and fills/hatches, the section viewports do not, at least with walls. We figure it has to be a bug...

Jeff-

I checked the classes and the VP settings and everything is as it should be to show. But let me back up and clarify the setup and issue.

The project is setup so that there is a 'main' model file (which is the one that you worked on) and then there are separate files which are for the 'sheets' that the main model is referenced into. In the files for the sections, there is a design layer with a DLVP on it that references back to the main model and is showing all the pertinent layers and classes. From that DLVP 'model', we have generated two section viewports that are showing as a Sheet Layer VPs. These are the sections that we can not get to show the wall components even though all that proper settings for the VPs are checked/unchecked and the proper visibilities are set.

The wall components show just fine in sections that we cut in the main file, and they show just fine in Top/Plan view in the Sheet file, but as soon as you cut a section of the referenced model in the Sheet file, the components do not want to show in the section. And to make matters stranger, when I reference the section VP in the model file, all the components show just fine in the Sheet file. So for right now, that seems like the work around, but it would be nicer to be able to cut the sections in the Sheet file for flexibility in work flow.

And as a follow up edit - I am recreating this is a test file, so it seems to be inherent to the program.

Are you using design layer section viewports somewhere in the middle?

I asked this because I noticed something today: When creating an sheet layer viewport from a design layer section viewport, the wall fills only show when rendered in polygon render style. In all other render modes, the wall fills are gone.

I am not sure what you mean by "somewhere in the middle".

What we have is a reference file- the model of the house with all the building information- that is being referenced to a target, sheet file.

This sheet file is where we are creating a section viewport on a sheet layer, from the referenced model on a design layer. This target, sheet, file is where we see that slabs are being rendered fine, but not walls as noted above in the previous post.

DWorks-

We get the same results if we cut a DL Section VP or if we cut a SL Section VP. I am attaching the very basic test files that we created. Take a look at them and see what you think. The Test1 file is the main model and the TesterSection has the DLVP of the main model and a SL Section VP.

DWorks-

We get the same results if we cut a DL Section VP or if we cut a SL Section VP. I am attaching the very basic test files that we created. Take a look at them and see what you think. The Test1 file is the main model and the TesterSection has the DLVP of the main model and a SL Section VP.

This is a bug. please file it.

It seems that the section viewport can't find the classes of the objects because they are in a different file. The section viewport will search for the attributes of the classes but can't go searching in another document.

What you can as a workaround is the following: Make your section viewports in the base file on design layers, and the reference these in the sheet file, then you will have the correct fill for the walls, but keep in mind the other bug I mention above about in what render modes you can render to see the section objects.

But can I ask why you want the sheet layers in another document? I have tried this multiple times and I'm still finding too much issues to get this working like it should be. If you put sheet layers in another document, you'll have to manually set to much things like class attributes and visibilities etc... .

If you do it because you have mutlible files for your model, then know that you can export multiple sheet layers from multiple documents in one pdf with the batch pdf export command.

Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish? Maybe we can give some othe tips about this, or learn from it?

Thanks for the feedback. We are using the work around that you mention so that the hatches/fills show properly, but it limits some of the visibility control.

To answer your question, we do this so that multiple people can work on the project simultaneously. Our projects are typically large enough that at least three people will be working on it at any time. On smaller projects, we do not usually use this type of arrangement.

The main model file will hold all the salient model info, including anything that we may generate schedules from. The Sheet files are really just that. They contain the notations, etc.

With 2011 and DL Section VPs, we are experimenting with the best practice for our workflow process.

Thanks again for your feedback.