Shapefile- Export/ Import

big ron

Hey guys,

I am Ronny, a german student of landscape architecture.

I use VW 2010 educational and at the moment, I try to export shape-files for usage in GIS.

I import the exported shape files in VW (clean document) to check, if every information is ok....but it isn?t.

The exported layer consists of 2d-points connected to a data base.

The database and information are imported correctly, but the visual appearance of the 2d-points aren?t.

So the layer in sum seems to be compressed or distorted, so the point are not at the same position as I exported them (even when I correct the scale).

How can it be, that Vectorworks isn?t able to read its own shape files correctly?

I know, there are some export/import settings. But as I have the german ersion, I can?t explain the english translation correctly.

Does the appearance of the shape depends on the Projection-setting, while importing? I tried everything of it, but nothing worked well.

Regards,

Ronny

Ron,

VW needs the projection information to correctly translate & export the file into gis with latitude & longitude degree units. The catch is that it will only use the projection if the VW file already has this information.

First you will need to import a gis file with the projection file (*.prj) in the same folder as the shapefile; then draw the new geometry; and finally, export the file back as shapefile(s)