Accessing worksheet with 4th Dimension

Hello,

Can you help me with the following question.

Is it possible to access a VectorWorks worksheet with 4th Dimension or any other database program? Also is it possible to use RealBasic to get access to a VectorWorks worksheet?

When it is possible, can you tell me how and what I need to accomplish this?

I thank you very much for your help and I will appreciate it very much.

Friendly greetings,

Chrissy smile.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

Hello Katie,

Thank you very much for your advice, I appreciate it very much.

I forgot the export feature you mentioned. In fact I was concentrating totally to the worksheet itself. But now I am thinking further. I think that I also can create a textfile in VectorScript. When my script gets the values (expressions and formulas are not used in the worksheet) out of the worksheet and export them in a delimited textfile I think 4D can import my file.

It is really great to have the ability of a programming language inside a CAD program. I always remembered a phrase Chakotay once said in the very first episode of Star Trek Voyager; "BE CREATIVE". Its that what let a person stand out of the crowd.

I will let you know my results and again I thank you very much. I wish you a very nice day and very much succes in everything you do. And remember; be creative (its true).

Friendly greetings,

Chrissy

You can export a worksheet as one of the following file formats - tab delimted text, comma delimted text, merge, DIF, or SYLK.

In VW, open the worksheet. Then go to File>Export>Export Worksheet. Select the appropriate file type and click on ok and then save.

Most programs can recognize a comma or tab delimited text file. It will go thru a conversion process and line up the information however you will not get cell functions. You will only get the actual information that appears in the rows and colums.

If you reference page 16-22 and 16-23, there is information in exporting worksheets as the various file types.

Hi,

As promised in my former reply, I let you know the results.

Instead of using the worksheet, I gather all information of the objects in the drawing and save them to a text file.

So immediatelly after my script receives information (by a handle to an object), it writes a line which contains all informations. In this way I can ommit two steps, firstly get all information in the worksheet, second browse through the worksheet and put all information again in the text file.

I thank you very much for your help and wish you a very nice weekend.

Friendly greetings,

Chrissy smile.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0