questions about returned value for WIDTH & HEIGHT

I have a 3d rectangle that I'm using to represent a printed graphic. The rectangle was built on a working plane, so it's alignment is "3d." 24'x14'

I have a simple worksheet active, that should return the square footage (area) of that rectangle, the width, and the height.

The square footage works out fine, but the width and heights are completely wrong. I have the sneaking suspicion that it's because the rectangle is on a 3d working plane. Is that so?

How do I correct for this problem?

Thanks,

Grant

I wonder if that's a bug. An oversight in the conversion to the all-2D-tools/objects-work-in-3D paradigm.

The OIP has the information for the height. But a database call for the height doesn't work. I've tried all the other function calls I can think of.

Maybe someone else will know where the height data went.

mk

I'm thinking of using walls instead. I've come to realize that walls are very powerful and robust in the VW software architecture. One can do so much with them as long as you don't think of them as only "walls". Surely I can get the length/width/height of a wall, no matter what the orientation is....surely...

Grant

Almost. You will never get another orientation from a wall. Walls have to be referenced to the Layer Plane - the selecting the wall tool will switch you from a working plane to the layer plane.

You can resize and reshape it, but it must be perpendicular to the ground plane.

But that's probably great for signs. : )

mk

I'm surprised, too. My assumption is that there is a way to do it that I don't know about.

Otherwise we should submit it as a bug...

You can call dimensions and volume of 3D objects (that have volume). But calling for length and width of 2D rectangles on a working plane is a mystery.

mk