Can I place a plant on a wall face?

Mattheng

I don't mean on top of it. I mean the face of the wall that you see when standing in a garden. I have built an extrude as the wall, set the working plane to the vertical face. placed some plants on the ground, but when I try to align the plants with the working plane I get this.

Any ideas?

Just to clarify, in spite of what the message says I am not using a wall, it's an extrude. I can only guess that the plant object qualifies as a wall or roof for this message?

Matt

Edited by Mattheng
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Matt

The Place Plant tool creates a hybrid object. Hybrid objects, whether they are plants, hardscapes or tables and chairs, can only be placed on the layer plane, or parallel to the layer plane. The cannot be placed on angled planes such as the vertical face of a wall or extrude.

However, you may be able to place this plant purely as a 3D view.

You could create a 3D plane, which you extrude from a working plane set against the wall face. You can then apply the image prop texture onto this plane, but its effectiveness will be dependent upon your view. If you are looking head on at the wall, you will just see the top edge of the image prop, which will look like a line or two crossed lines.

You could always make a texture of a mass of vertical planting and place that on a vertical plane just in front of the wall. But this would not count plants. You could still use the Landscape Area of Place Plant tool to create a plan of the wall face so that you can get correct calculations of plants.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the suggestions, I did place an image prop texture on one face of a wall to see what happened. Unsurprisingly it looked like I had painted the wall with plants. Not really what I was looking for but it is the best solution so far.

Interestingly I don't use the reports at all in VW. To make the visuals compelling you have to stick so many plants in that it would be ludicrously expensive to buy them all. As a result we do all the plant costings in Excel.

It probably is a complete waste of time but we did send out a VW report from a visual by mistake and the client hit the roof over the ridiculous plant budget so we dumped it....

BCD, I have used your suggestion when using climbers and it works as they do grow up the wall. However, this time I am trying to model plants that grow OUT of the wall so it is just frustratingly difficult......

Get an image of a vertical planting scheme, use Photoshop to make it repeat sensibly, and use it as the basis for a texture. Make a vertical plane in front of the wall, and apply your texture. It can look OK. If you want help offlist with this, give me a shout.

Regarding worksheets, how about using the Landscape Area tool to count your plants. You don't need to actually add visible plants this way - and can set the density you desire. Then you can pull of a report of the landscape areas only. Just use Plant graphics for aesthetic beauty then!