Global line width

Hello! There is a tool in autocad to set the global line width, which makes thicker line look better (extrudes the line in both directions 2d, so that the ends of the line aren't rounded. BTW it extrudes in real units, not paper units). If this would be possible, drawings made in vectorworks wouldn't need any postwork in other software. Maybe you guys have a workflow how to manage this?

• 5 weeks later...

Guys, for me this is one of the most missing features in vw. Especially when sketching roads and etc in city planning (vw roads tool is kinda limited and slow at this point). So is there a workaround on 2d offsetting a polyline - making it have a real world units width? Any scripts or smth? Seems that nobody misses this function as my posts previous posts weren't answered :)

Cheers, and I'm really waiting for a suggestion. Currently I have to finish all of my drawings in illustrator, and it's a pain when I need to fix smth again in vw, and then again work it out in illustrator...

Don't know exactly what you are asking for.

To square the line ends on Mac OS, turn off quartz imaging in Vectorworks Preferences>Display tab - But that affects layer transparency, pdf export and other things, too, so experiment.

Maybe you already tried some or all of the these, but just in case:

For line width, click the Line Style button in the Attributes Palette and select Set Thickness (top option). Line width can be set to any thickness in several unit types.

Drawing at 1:1 makes narrow line widths seem equal. Try setting layer scale close to output scale and enable Zoom Line Thickness in VW prefs>Display.

Viewports have controls for line weight scale, marker scale, etc in the Advanced dialog of the OIP.

Keep posting until you get what you want.

-B

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly. What I was talking about, is the extrusion of the line to both sides in world units, e.g. I am draw a polyline, then i type a width 6m for it, and it's offset both directions. So if i change the scale of a drawing, the lines (roads) stay in real world units. Currently i'm using linear material tool, which does a similar job, just that i can't make it dashed line (if i choose dashed style it's applied for the bounding edges but not for the entire width). It's a little bit difficult to find the right words in english for me :)

I can't quite understand if you are trying to set the thickness (line weight) of a line, or if you are trying to offset a roadway center line to define the roadway edges.

The Set Thickness option sets the total line weight (thickness) of a line, centered on the vector. You could set the line weight to 6m (that is a really wide line!) or any other size. If the preference for Zoom Line Thickness is enabled, you will see the line width scale up or down as you zoom.

If you are trying to draw a roadway centerline and use it to create the roadway edges on either side, try the 2d Offset Tool. It creates an offset to one side only, so you have to reselect the center line and offset again for the other side. Adjust attributes (dashed, line weight, color) of the new lines as desired.

Keep trying to explain. Someone here will understand and help you do what you want. If possible, post a screenshot or file demonstrating what you did that is not working. Click the Switch to Full Reply Screen button and use the File Manager to attach a file to your post.

-B

Line Widths in VW are limited to Paper Space and have a range of values from 1 mil to 255 mils (0.0254 mm to 6.477 mm). The ends are displayed as rounded if Quartz Imaging is turned on, and as Square if it is off, but they are never flush. If Quartz Imaging is turned off, then the displayed line width varies as the angle of the line changes, which is a screen artifact, but it will print that way, too. I think the PC and MAC versions differ in this respect, but I'd have to check. I'm speaking strictly MAC here.

The apparent value of line widths in real units can be controlled by adjusting the Layer Scale, but this does not affect the end caps, only the width.

End Cap control (Square, Rounded, Flush) has been requested many times, but never implemented. I doubt it will happen anytime soon; that is to say NV has made no statement one way or the other on its implementation, so if I were you I'd assume it won't happen rather than wait for it.

If you want infinite control of how lines look you will have to draw them as outlined objects - Polygons. Yes, this is a pain, but it can be done. It is even possible to convert stroked Lines and Polys to outlined Polys with a VectorScript. Converting the Dash Style would be an amazing achievement, but in theory could also be done. There are probably easier ways to get what you want than to go down this trail.

HTH,

Raymond

Thanks for replies guys. Things are clear for me now, guess such attribute does not exist in vw. Anyway, i'm posting some pics of how it looks like:

Zoom level 1:

zoom1c.png

Zoom level 2:

zoom2v.png

Zoom level 3:

zoom3.png

Settings of a line width:

settingswidth.png

Settings of a line weight:

settingslineweight.png

If this could be done, 2d drafting would be even more convenient and a lot faster :)

Edited by MartynasJ