Renderworks apparently dead

Joel Riehl

Am working a 3D model of a project. I applied materials and set some lighting objects. Whether working in the design layer perspective view, or with a viewport, when I go to render, anything labeled "renderworks" is not working. At all. It doesn't do anything. Just leaves me with the wire frame. The non-renderworks rendering modes are more or less going, but not a single one of them with satisfactory results. Open GL is kinda ok, but gets all the materials wrong, and completely screws up colored surfaces, rendering them black, with some kind of electronic rainbow noise on them (off white is what I was hoping for).

Setting aside for the moment the OpenGL issue - why am I getting zero renderworks? Too much data? Wrong working plane setting (last night's bugaboo)?

Does your license include Renderworks? It's a separate module. Were Renderworks options active before and now stopped working?

Try a system restart?

At least test by drawing an extrude or other 3d object with color fill in a new clean file. If it works there, the problem is file specific, rather than in the app or OS.

Good luck! Post back with more of what's going on or if you sorted it.

Please make yourself a profile with a signature in this forum's My Stuff tab near top of the forum window. Show your VW version and a bit about your OS and hardware. That helps with troubleshooting.

-B

How far are you away from the 2D origin of the drawing? If you are a long way from the origin this can cause rendering problems. You can check this by placing a locus and looking at its X and Y location when you are in a Plan view.

How widespread is your drawing? If the drawing has a great extent this can also cause rendering problems. You can check this by switching to Top/Plan View, make sure nothing is selected and then clicking on the Fit to Objects icon on the View Bar.

What is the Layer Scale and what units are you using?

Can you also please show your Vectorworks version, OS and computer in your signature.

Edited by mike m oz

The objects are centered in the drawing space (as indicated by the sheet). The drawing goes just beyond the boundaries of the sheet, but really has very few objects. It does have some furniture, doors, and windows, from the resource library, some materials assigned, and 3 or 4 imported graphic files applied as finishes.

I'll try the restart. VW 2011 has been crashing every 3 or 4 days on me. I have had more crashes in the 5 weeks since I upgraded and went to an Intel machine than I had during the previous 6 years. Also, the type of rendering I'm trying to do I have done successfully in a different file.

Ok I find myself over my head here once again. I placed the locus, and it showed as being located at x= 417,300, y=-657,780 (units are millimeters) - and yet, as I said, it shows within my drawing space as indicated by the grey border. Nevertheless, I tried moving the whole works to the vicinity of 0,0. I then went to View\Set 3D View. When I did this, the screen went blank. So, I zoomed way back out until I saw something. When I zoomed in on the 3D view I had just set up, it was back in the same area as before - not where I had moved the objects to. It had the same rendering problems. Nothing with renderworks. Render DON'T works.

Background information: This is being drawn in a file into which I imported an AutoCAD file for a shopping center in China - so, heaven knows what the set-up issues are that are going on here.

Edited by Joel Riehl

Joel best practice is to import DWG files into an empty file and then reference that file into your working file using a Design Layer Viewport. That way you don't populate your working file with all of the Autocad Layers (Classes) and Blocks (Symbols).

417 m and 658 m from the origin shouldn't be a problem. My guess is that the extents of your file is the problem (not uncommon with imported DWGs). Look for objects that are a long way from the origin. To do this you will need to make all of the Classes visible so before you start create a Saved View so you can return to the current visibility state.

I cut and pasted the objects into a new file. It is better ..... but still not nearly ready for prime time:

- I picked 2 different pantone colors, pink and green, for 2 different walls. It shows them their respective colors in the OIP, but both pink in the rendering.

- I assigned laminate colors to some casework. These were working in last night's OpenGL rendering actually - but tonight, no dice. Not in OpenGL, not in Renderworks.

- I put a "decal" of a mural on a wall. It is only showing 3/4 of the image. Literally like you divided the wall into 4 squares and omitted the lower left one. The image itself is square, and I specified the wall size for the image size.

Please don't tell me I'm going to have to spend my modest profit hiring someone to do the rendering for me.

Edited by Joel Riehl

Check again for a Far From Origin problem. I recently got beat up by this one, and the render results are quite silly. I think render and other problems might be due to rounding errors at 11 or 12 decimal points.

If an extrude, for example, is created 100000 units from drawing origin, then moved/pasted near origin, the source poly still exists (registers?) 100000 units away. To demonstrate this, create an extrude, move it, then enter the edit mode and read the source poly location.

The objects in your drawing are currently located near the origin, but nested source geometry, eg 2d source objects of 3d parts within walls, may have been created far from origin.

In your test file, try drawing a couple new walls near the problem walls to see if fresh ones handle renders and colors any better than the problem walls.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

Benson, thanks for the suggestions. I think you are on the right track. I noticed this issue of objects seeming to be tied to something very very far away. Also, trying to create objects - even a simple line - in a plan or elevation view, you never know what they are snapping to.

Well, I made sure that my objects are all centered around the 0,0 point. No outlying objects that I can detect. I even deleted any classes that I didn't created, and any objects that may have been on them. There is nothing more than 20 meters away from point 0,0 that I have any way of detecting. I drew new walls and tried the same thing. New walls still the wrong color.

Joel, as Benson has pointed out the problem may lie with an extrude source object or a symbol. Have you checked for those?

Have you also checked the extents in the Z direction?

If your problem persists after checking these you should bug submit your file so it can be looked at by the NV people. There is not much they can do without the file or even images showing what the problems are.

Edited by mike m oz