extruding along a 3d path

I am trying to bend a pipe in 3 dimensions. It bends as seen in the x,y, plane, then turns down in the x,z, plane. I tried "extrude along path", but was unable to make a 3d polyline to use as a path. I then tried to create 2 objects and join them - even with a simple miter, I was unable to do this. What is the most direct method for making this 3d pipe extrusion?

Edited by Joel Riehl

Several ways to set it up.

Here is one way if you know the relative locations of the bend points:

Use 3d poly tool to draw an open linear shape with enough vertices to represent your pipe. This initial shape does not matter - all vertices can be in a straight line or zig zag around, all on the xy plane is fine. Then in the OIP switch the Move pulldown from Entire Object to Vertex Only. Click through the vertices with the Edit arrows (right below the Move options) and change the xyz location of each vertex to match your pipe shape.

-B

Better still is to use the Nurbs curve with degrees set to 1. Switch to an isometric view and then draw your path using the floating data bar to enter appropriate x, y and z values. If you want the corners rounded use the 2D Fillet tool on the nurbs path.

Edited by mike m oz
Switch to an isometric view and then draw your path using the floating data bar to enter appropriate x, y and z values. If you want the corners rounded use the 2D Fillet tool on the nurbs path.

What they said.....

Same as above also applies to 3D polys

click to start.

keep hitting tab to get to X,Y orZ field,

enter size

click to place point

hit tab, etc etc