need some advice on measurements with vw 2010

Hey guys,

So I?m trying to re-create a shelf that I have in the house into Vectorworks. It is a little more complex than a normal "shelf" and I wanted to get your input.

I've included some pictures of it so you get an idea of what it looks like. Obviously the idea is to break it into segments and build it one piece at a time, but I?m having a very hard time with curves.

My first challenge is the base posts. They are partial arc segments. Now I know the inside width (point to point straight) and the height of the intersected width to the top of the highest point. With that I know the radius of the arch.

In my mind I have enough information above to do that drawing, and I?m looking through the 3D modeling NURBs arch, and it would seem to me the first option of NURBs arc by radius mode would be the logical step since I know the radius and the length, but NO... I need to know some angle.. which I know I can figure out the angles, but what angle is it looking for? it seems to want to know the angle AND length of something.. very confusing...

My question on that part is what do you guys use to do arc's, what options, and what information do you have going into it to plug it in correctly?

My next question is more of a mathematical one, but there are a lot of curves and slants as you see in the pictures. Normally what you'd do is "chop" off the portion with the curve, and measure that independently but what if it?s one solid piece? Any ideas on that?

This is more for me to get familiar with how I translate the information I find into VW, but I?m noticing at least for me it?s not as easy as I thought it would be!

Thanks for the input!

You can measure the chord of the arc and the 'offset' from the centre of the chord to the circumference.

Use the endpoints of the chord and the centre point you measured to make the arcs use either the NURBS arc by three points or the Polyline arc by three points or arc by 2 points and point on arc.

Sorry I don't understand the second part of the question.

N.

Edited by propstuff

Sorry man, I don't get it at all...

It's not the numbers i'm not understanding.. I have all the measurements.. it's how the heck do I put them into VW?

The problem with your solution by what I see is it doesn't take the right information that I see.. for arc by three points it says "Click to define the starting point of an arc." - no problem got that part! then it says "The arc passes through the point with the second click." - Here's where it loses me.. why the heck would I want that? then I'm having to figure out all kinds of information... Why wouldn't it be the two end points first (the chord) THEN do the radius by finding the middle of the cord and the distance from that to the middle of the arc after subtracting the distance from the middle point of the "circle" to the intersecting chord?

Anyone able to explain how i'd do this a little bit better?

follow up: I also see the nurbs arc by 2 points and radius, and this one makes sense if it worked, the problem is after you click the 2nd time for the two end points it explains there's a dialog box to enter the radius... but there's not one.. just the same old length and angle then X y etc... and these values dont really apply..

where's the dialog box to enter the radius after you click the two end points?

Try this method:

- In Front View draw the true elevation view of the curved leg using the arc and line tools. Make sure each of the edge 2D element connects rather than overlaps or almost touches.

- Select all of the edge 2D elements and Compose them into a single shape.

- Extrude this shape by its depth to get a 3D object.

- In an isometric view use the Fillet Edge tool from the 3D Modelling toolset to round the curved edges.

- In Top/Plan View use the Rotate tool to get the required rotation for one leg and then move it into the correct location.

- Use the Mirror tool in Mirror and Duplicate mode to get the other four legs.

Re NURBS: Once you create the curves with the NURBS Arc tool, the radius setting is in the OIP. The NURBS degree number describes number of segments between vertices rather than some angular measurement. Test by dbl click a NURBS arch to activate the 3d reshape tool and show the vertices. Increase the Degree number by 1 and press tab to exit the Degree field. NURBS arc will update to show an added "segment".

Re curved legs: Lots of ways to do this

One is to start in 2d, Switch drawing to Front view. Draw the outline of one leg with 2d poly tool or compose from 2 arcs connected at ends by straight lines. Extrude the poly to thickness of leg.

Another is extrude along a path - inner arc is path, rectangle same as cross section is profile. EAP defaults to profile centered on path, so dbl click the 3d figure and Edit Profile to display your rectangle. Move center of right edge to 0,0 position (the cross hairs). Exit.

There are also ways to do this with NURBS.

Once you have one leg made, switch to TopPlan view, dupe the leg and arrange the dupes around the base shelf.

Is your other question is about profiled shelf edges? In TopPlan view, make the edge as EAP where path is rectangle and profile is cross section of shelf edge. Edit profile as above to relocate profile on path. Extrude a rectangle for the shelf inside the edge. Align EAP and extrude in front view so tops are flush. Group or Add Solids if desired.

Post back if any of this is not working.

HTH

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Sorry man, I don't get it at all...

It's not the numbers i'm not understanding.. I have all the measurements.. it's how the heck do I put them into VW?

The problem with your solution by what I see is it doesn't take the right information that I see.. for arc by three points it says "Click to define the starting point of an arc." - no problem got that part! then it says "The arc passes through the point with the second click." - Here's where it loses me.. why the heck would I want that? then I'm having to figure out all kinds of information... Why wouldn't it be the two end points first (the chord) THEN do the radius by finding the middle of the cord and the distance from that to the middle of the arc after subtracting the distance from the middle point of the "circle" to the intersecting chord?

Anyone able to explain how i'd do this a little bit better?

Say your chord length is 600 and the offset from the centre of the chord to the circumference is 50.

Arc by 2 points and point on arc:

Click first point.

hit Tab L and A fields should appear

Enter 600 in L and whatever angle you want.

Hit enter. Rulers should lock the position

Click to place second point.

Bring the cursor to around the mid point. If you have Object Snap on it should snap to the midpoint. (It might say "endpoint" instead of mid point for some reason)

Hit the Tab key again. repeat until the X and Y fields come up.

Put in the 50 in the appropriate field, Enter,

Click to finish.

Arc by 3 points

"Why the heck would you want that" because it's a very usefull mode that's different from 2 points and point on arc. I use it all the time.

Click to start

hitTab until the X field comes up

put in 50, hit Tab.

Put 600/2 in Y, hit enter

Click to place the second point

Tab again, 50 in X 300 in Y, Enter, Click to finish.

Edited by propstuff

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I have it down!

I'm not happy with the texture quite yet (it seems lighter than it should as this is cherry wood.. I used a photo, but hrmm.. i'll play with it..), but I have the components in.

I included some pics and the vwx file for anyone if they'd like it..

Thanks for the help!