layer plane, working plane, screen plane, 3d

I am not familiar how to use these. I created flooring patterns for a project - in several different "groups". When I went to the sheet layer, one of them was invisible. I went back to the design layer, and it was there. When I selected all the pieces (which were drawn in one sitting, in the same "environment") the "Plane" button on the object info dialog box shows blank. If I pick the toggle, I get 2 choices: layer plane or screen plane. If I select either of these, half my lines disappear. If I select any individual object in this group of objects, the toggle reads "3d". I am assuming my objects are up off the 'Z' plane, but not co-planar with each other.

Can somebody give me the reader's digest what is going on here, and what do these settings do for me? (Besides messing me up and bewildering me at the moment)

Edited by Joel Riehl

You can't globally make a Group either Layer Plane or Screen Plane. What you need to do is enter the Group by double clicking on it, selecting all of the objects and then make them either Layer Plane or Screen Plane using the pop-up on the OIP.

In Design Layers:

- Screen Plane objects don't exist in 3D space and will always float on the screen as the 3D view is changed.

- Layer Plane objects exist in 3D space and will maintain their spatial location as the 3D view is changed.

In Sheet Layer Viewports:

- Screen Plane objects will only show when the Project Screen Plane Objects option is checkmarked. These objects will then appear flat on the Layer Plane at relative Z = 0.

- Layer Plane objects will only show when the Display Planar Objects option is checkmarked.

In Design Layer Viewports:

- Screen Plane objects will only show when the Project Screen Plane Objects option is checkmarked. These objects will then appear flat on the Layer Plane at relative Z = 0.

- Layer Plane objects will only show when the Display Planar Objects option is checkmarked.

See attached images and explore attached file.