How to connect VW and FMpro with new odbc functionality

From what I've read - I'm not sure that this functionality is working in Vw2011.

Other threads relating to FM Pro & ODBC:

Re: ODBC - How to on Mac

Re: Filemaker Export

Tim

I already read these threads, no solution.

This functionality should be working according to the documentation NVW is giving us: odbc driver information in the VW knowledgebase

You'll see in the table that the connectivity can only be one way with excel (what I had tried first), but with FM, it should work all ways, and that's what I want. I really want to test this connectivity to be able to see what's possible with it (I already have many things in my mind) and then implement these things.

Maybe someone from NVW can help us with this?

• 8 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Guys,

To use ODBC before starting Vectorworks a DSN must be created. Windows has OS integrated ODBC manager here: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools. If your OS is 64bit, you should use 32-bit version of ODBC manager, otherwise you won?t be able to see the driver list. On Mac you have to install ODBC manager like ?ODBC Administrator?, ?ODBC Manager? or other tool. For FileMaker you should install also ODBC driver (for both platforms). Then create a DSN using the driver and start Vectorworks.

In Vectorworks, there are 3 stages for ODBC connectivity:

1) Select Tools > Databases > Manage Databases and establish a connection to the DSN.

2) Select Tools > Databases > Record Format Connection and map format record to the external database columns.

3) Select object(s) you want to link with the database and execute Tools > Databases > Object Connection. Select database row(s) with which the object(s) will exchange data. Use menu command ?Update External Database? to write data into the external database and use ?Update Vectorworks Document? to write record fields in the document.

Regards,

Sasha