Lighting Position "Name" placement

I am 'creating' a lighting position on my plot. However, the name of the position on the drawing is at the wrong angle.

In this particular drawing, I have all my pipes running up/down (SR at top, SL at bottom) on the plot.

I was able to move and resize accordingly--however, I cannot 'rotate' the label. It is currently Horizontal and I need it to be Vertical.

When I select the rotate tool, and attempt to just grab the label--the entire position will rotate. (??)

What is the formula to rotate just the label and NOT the entire postion?

many thanx! :grin:

Preston

You might try to edit the position symbol in the resource browser so that it has a horizontal position. Upon insertion, rotate the position to the desired vertical placement and move the label to where you need to be. Hope this is close to what you are looking for.

Steve

Preston,

I do not believe you can rotate the position name separately from the position. As you know the name will rotate with the position. If the name is not placed where you want it you can move it and adjust the text style etc. from "format text" but not rotate it. My suggestion was to have your symbol positioned horizontally in the symbol edit section, and upon insertion rotate the position vertically. The name will then be in a vertical orientation, although the text might be upside down for what is needed for your drawing. I also assume you are aware that the position name is not a label legend but a part of the summary box in the light position object plug-in. Again I hope this helps.

HE WAS RIGHT! Blame Canada for the fix!

What I did was:

1. Rt-click on the symbol in the RB

2. Chose ?Edit?

3. Rotated the pipe 90?

4. On the drawing the pipe is now perpendicular to the instruments hanging on it?so I had to select them all and manually assigned them in the OIP to another hanging position (they also moved the first time I tried this...)

5. Rotated the pipe

6. The label rotated as well

7. Repositioned the label to the same plane as the others

8. Re-selected the instruments and then reassigned them to the hanging position

9. All is good!

Thx...

• 8 years later...

I am having a related problem, VW 2019. I created a hanging position from a rigging pipe object (converted to symbol). Turned the hanging position label on but the control point on the label doesn't really make any sense and the text isn't rotated the way I want. The "Label Control" X and Y does not move the control point of the hanging position name, just moves the whole label around. Eureka... I edited the 2D component of the hanging position and was able to move the name text relative to the position, even rotate the text! Except... now the label won't update when I change the name of the hanging position. It also won't go away when I deselect "Show Name." It appears to just be fixed, un-referenced text now. If I completely delete the text and cycle "Show Name" the name is restored with the same control point/orientation issues as before but... moving the control point won't move the text at all... so it's still broken. Any ideas? Is this how I should adjust the name label text? Does the name label break for anyone else? Is this fixed in VW 2020?

Edited by Smatticus
  • 1 month later...

When you create a Hanging position with a Pipe, group it first. The Label will be horizontal, regardless of the angle of the pipe.

On 2/8/2020 at 10:24 PM, wrios said:

It would be great if we could generate label legends for hang positions.  Is this a feature in 2020? 

The Data Tag tool is what you need for this.

• Like 1