Creating and Applying textures to 3d objects

Basic question: I have created a 3d object, by extruding a rectangle and subtracting certain volumes from it. The only way I know to assign a material to it is through the render tab on the object info palette. The texture button comes with a certain number of pre-loaded textures from which to select.

Somewhere, I read that any pantone or Benjamin Moore colors can be assigned to an object, and that the finish can be manipulated: gloss, matte, etc. - but I can't find a clue in my materials how to do this. How do I create new textures to assign to objects?

Let me throw one more in here:

The object i am trying to render is a somewhat complex 3d object, composed of different parts. One of the parts is a light object - a flat rectangle forming the glowing backs of some cubicles subtracted out of a foreground object. So, when I render the object (final quality renderworks) the outline of the light object shows in the rendering through the foreground object. [edit] never mind. I see it doesn't print. I get it.

Still need to know how to get Benjamin Moore (or Pantone) colors though.

Edited by Joel Riehl

See attached images for how to create a 'color texture' (you add the color palettes via the Color palette preferences button). Once you have your color selected you can manipulate its reflectivity, transparency etc. through the other options.

Re your second post could it be that your foreground object has transparency?