Broken links btwn RW Camera & Viewport

wvancampen

Most of the time, the link disappears i.e. when I "Edit Camera" nothing happens. And since after linking, a camera no longer shows up in the Visualization Palette (what's the logic there?) or in the design layer...I have to start the whole process over again.

This thread in the Renderworks forum reached a dead end, so I'm trying the Architects.

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=30352&Number=152641#Post152641

Are you sure that you are not misunderstanding how this works?

Have you viewed the Linking Camera and Viewports movie?

http://www.nemetschek.net/library/index.php

From Help:

Editing a Linked Renderworks Camera

A linked Renderworks camera can be edited, changing the associated sheet layer viewport?s view.

To edit a linked Renderworks camera:

1. Select the viewport.

2. Select Modify > Edit Viewport. The Edit Viewport dialog box opens (see Editing a Design Layer Displayed in a Sheet Layer Viewport for a description of the dialog box parameters).

3. Click Camera.

4. An alert dialog box opens. Click OK to enter Edit Renderworks Camera mode.

Alternatively, right-click (Windows) or Ctrl-click (Macintosh) on a viewport and select Edit Camera from the context menu.

A colored border around the drawing window indicates that you are in an editing mode. The Exit Renderworks Camera command becomes available from the Modify menu, and the Return to Viewport button is visible in the top right corner of the drawing window.

5. The design layer that was active when the viewport was created is active, and the linked Renderworks camera object is selected. Edit the camera view as described in Adjusting the Camera View.

The camera can be deleted. The view and projection parameters are controlled by the viewport if the camera is deleted.

If no Renderworks camera is linked to the viewport, select a camera to be linked. Alternatively, the view can be manipulated with the standard view tools (such as the Flyover tool, zoom level, and View menu commands), changing the viewport view upon exit.

6. Click Return to Viewport to return to the viewport once the Renderworks camera has been edited or deleted. The viewport?s view, projection, and perspective distance are updated.

The broken link problem is intermittent, but I haven't yet identified cause-and-effect (if it exists).

Submit it as a bug so NNA can look at it and deal with the problem.

Before you do that check that neither your camera or the Viewport are in a Class which you are switching the visibility of, and therefore that is the reason it is 'disappearing'.

Separately, wouldn't it make sense for linked cameras to still show up in the Visualization Palette?

You have to deal with what is rather than what you think it should be.

Once the camera is linked to a Viewport it becomes part of that Viewport and no longer exists in Vectorwork's model space. That would be why it is no longer in the Visualisation palette.

Mike,

Your suggestion about the camera class visibility makes sense. However, it led me to this:

1. Edit Camera.

2. Whatever class the camera is, make it invisible.

3. Click Return to Viewport. Note even though you made the camera class invisible in Step 2--it shows up as visible in the Navigation Palette.

4. Edit Camera again. Note there is no camera, even though its class is visible. (This was where I was stumped).

5. To make the camera reappear, toggle it invisible and then visible.

I think this constitutes a bug?

In any case, I think I've solved the mystery, thanks to your lead.

I seem to be having a similar issue, the view port claims that it is linked to a camera, but when you try edit the camera nothing happens, which now each time I want to link the view port to a camera I duplicate the camera in case I need to re do the view port with it linked correctly.

I am pretty sure the problem occurs when you duplicate a sheet layer with the view port on, the link still works on the original but the duplicated page the link is broken and trying to edit you get nothing, yet the VP still claims that it is linked to the camera.