Render activity - CPU and RAM usage

Hello all,

I'm struggling to understand the slow behavior in rendering and screen redraws of even wireframe drawings in VW2011. I just rendered a hidden line viewport on a small-ish document (55MB) with Apple Activity Monitor open during the render. VW app shows 100% CPU usage, but that appears to be only 1 core, as the CPU meter is flat lined at well below 25%. Also, VW is only using 750 or so MB of RAM during this process, and drops to 550MB at idle. What am I missing? I expect renders to be slow, but this is substantially worse than 2010. And wireframe screen redraws are grinding my work to halt. Why is VW not using the horsepower available to it? I'm running on the 8 Core MacPro 3,1 described in my sig below.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Nick

I would check and see if the hidden line rendering mode is part of the C4D rendering engine. If it is, you will see the screen break up into "chunks" of processes as it renders. I doubt it is though, which would be why your processor only shows one core active.

As to your screen redraw issues, sometimes the problem is an extensive use of plug in objects. I've had problems with lots of staircases, railings, etc. Not much to do about that problem but class them/layer them separately and turn them off/grey them out when not using.

You are correct, Grant. Looking at Activity Monitor, CineRender will take all 8 cores and at least 1.5 GB of RAM. Final Quality Renderworks finishes faster than hidden line. Of course, I have a simple document with only a few colors, no elaborate lighting. But it is a little silly...and underwhelming. I've added several days to this job just waiting for the screen to refresh, it seems.

cheers,

Nick