2011 render errors

Benson Shaw

Attached 2011.vwx file renders fine in OGL, but falls apart in FQ and other RW modes. Model elements are extrudes of ACAD line work created in a master VW file then pasted into this new file blank file, centered on 0,0.

Original ACAD line work is 32 miles from VW drawing origin (175,000 ft). Why do they do this??!! But moving or pasting the model to origin does not fix the render errors.

Export of this file to VW2010 renders fine in RW modes and OGL.

Reimport of that export to 2011 resumes the RW problems. Did the model retain some info about distance from origin?

After move to Origin, I tried Decompose/recompose extrude polys. No success. If I edit an extrude and draw a new, replacement poly, that extrude still does not render properly.

Tried relaunch VW and reboot system.

Do I have to start over?

Or some other tips?

-B

Thanks for looking, Mike.

Bug submitted.

Also found a workaround:

Copy extrude source poly>convert to NURBS> dupe and move up or down by extrude height>Simple Loft w/ Create Solid option>Adjust z value as nec.

I think there is some residual, conflicting info from the ACAD vectors or from the distant origin.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

Figured it out. Duh!

Source poly of an extrude stays where it was created when the extrude is moved.

Demonstration:

1. Draw a rectangle, adjust OIP values to center it at 0,0, extrude it.

2. Move the extrude, enter the extrude edit, copy the source poly, exit the edit mode.

3. Now Paste In Place. The pasted object will be centered at 0,0 rather than centered on the extrude.

My little model combines the old problem of RW renders failing when too far from drawing origin with my source polys staying way out there even when the extrudes are moved to the origin. Edit one of my extrudes and read location of source poly. Waaaaay out there.

Probably not exactly a bug, except for the render problem far from origin.