insulation batt folds in walls

Hi, thanks I tried that but I can't find one that uses insulation batt shown as folds only square mesh , so I'm guessing that folds is not suitable perhaps due to the number of curves that would result. The square mesh is fine but the wall components are greyed out in the info box so it's not possible to edit them. The only wall style that can be edited is the 'Un-Styled' one.

AJ

Wall Component 2D attributes can only be fills so therefore it is not possible to have the folded insulation pattern for a fill.

The Wall Component attributes are defined as part of the Wall Style. To change these you need to edit the Wall Style in the Resource Browser. To modify a hatch fill you need to edit the Hatch definition in the Resource Browser. Note: All Resources in a document are unique to that document and therefore any changes you make to them will only be made in that document.

You can also use the batt insulation tool to place insulation directly into a wall (not a component, but the wall itself), automatically adjust the insulation's length to that of the wall, and control the centering of the insulation within the wall. Not the same as adding batt insulation to a component, but it might be still be sufficient in certain cases.

Dan J.

Alas It's not a hatch, but rather a plug-in object, the characteristics of which are modifiable in the Object Info palette. And yes, it's not linked to a component's width, so must be adjusted appropriately when things change. As I mentioned, not the same thing as adding a hatch to a component, but in certain cases it may still be sufficient.

Dan J.

Edited by Danielj1
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Hello, Just searching for finding a better way to do this.... Maybe there is not one....

But its 2018 now. So I just make a complex line type (using world geometry scale) and make a repeating line type of the batt. Then when I make a wall style, I put this is on one side of the component edges and turn the other side of the component edge off.  Works ok, not ideal rendering at junctions but no one seems to care on site. 

2D only I guess.

Please let me know if there is a better way.

Thanks

Ah... just discovered an issue with my approach. When sectioning walls, the left/right option for the complex line types does not work.... or at least it only works for any single direction of a wall.  When sectioning the opposing direction, it renders the complex line geometry on the wrong side of the line. One work around is to duplicate the wall styles so there is a left/right style and a right left/style... but this is not great. frustrating, as if there was a centre line options, this issue would go away. Also could be used for a simple stud in wall approach. 

Thanks

But not in 2D? or will it? 

I found another work around for the complex line type approach. For one element, such as the insulation@90mm, I make 3 components. 

- one at 45mm with nothing in it

- one at  0.01mm with the complex line type (which is 90mm geometry - I also put 44x90mm cls studs in it @ 450mm centres) 

- one at 45mm with nothing in it.

This effectively put the insulation line and its complex geometry in the middle of where its supposed to be. So works sectioned either way. 

The result is ok. A stud wall in 2D. The stud positions are a bit random but no one cares about that. They put them where they want them anyway. 

The bad thing is that when using offsets and stories to bound them, you have to set up 3 components. and everything is 0.01mm out (but I'm ok with that now!)  

You also have to make line types for each stud thickness, but that's not so bad.

This strategy also works for any repeat components. Like Stepoc Blocks in a wall. I had thought I could do beam and block floors this way, but then realised its only correct if sectioned them one way! 

I've put in a wish list for wall types to allow for a centre line (rather than just a left or right) in a component. This is useful for membranes also. 

I'd also like the hatch editor to be as simple as the complex line editor! which is not that complex

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I'm intrigued @RDS Casa..

It seems you want to show insulation and then you seem to have turned to wanting to have studwork also.

Why are you wanting to devise a method of having the studwork drawn which (by your own admission) is not really that 'accurate' and doesn't work very well in walls? Why aren't you using the framing tool? This will provide you with a really very good 'design intent' 2D plan of the stud layout(s).

Also 3D framing panels if you wish - but it seems maybe the contractors only need an 'indicative' from you.

I was just looking for the simplest way to have repetitive elements in a wall build up. The complex line types combined with wall styles almost enable this in a really simple way.

I've not played much with the framing tool to be honest, but yes, that looks potentially a better way of doing it (certainly for head plates and sole plates in the wall, and trimming out opening etc). But it's just another process and set up, that's all. At the moment I still take the sections vieworts when they are pretty much right, then when I'm ready I convert to group and edit the fiddly bits all in 2D. I know that's a archaic, and I'm left with a static section, but it works for me currently. Its the shortest way to useable output - until the design changes of course. 

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into the framing tool in more detail. If you know any good tutorials, do please post them. 

In extrapolation of this topic, how does one export batt insulation so that it is visible in the .dwg as well?

I can select batt insulation tile as a wall component fill and for me it looks perfect, but it will not export to .dwg -> insulation appears empty for a structural engineer looking at my .dwg file.