Communicating BIM with other software programs (Revit, MX, Navisworks)

diamo

Hello, I'm looking for landscape architects (or other professions) that are successfully using Vectorworks in a workflow that communicates between other software packages like 12D, Revit, MX and Navisworks, etc.

I am working in a large engineering firm that has many different disciplines that use different software. Vectorworks Landmark is great for landscape architects, but I don't know how it fits with a big picture of civil engineering, architecture, water engineering, etc. My company is jumping on the BIM wagon and I need to see how Vectorworks fits in large projects that involve large scale city planning and design with other software packages. If this can;t be done efficiently, in these large industries we, landscape architects, will be left behind (stuck on AutoCAD).

If there are users out there that are successfully using Vectorworks in a BIM or SIM workflow that is talking with engineers and architects with their own 3D programs, could you please make contact with me so we can have a discussion?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My point is the Framing PIO is now worthless,the design and building codes will change in light of natural disasters, and to a degree buildings must become Waterproof,Cyclone proof and Earthquake resistant

The timber framing would not be much different to make it earthquake resistant. Connections need to be reinforced and the walls framed with plywood if required by the calculated lateral force.

I do not know about other places but California has required buildings to be earthquake resistant for decades.

• 6 years later...
On 2/17/2011 at 6:25 PM, diamo said:

Hello, I'm looking for landscape architects (or other professions) that are successfully using Vectorworks in a workflow that communicates between other software packages like 12D, Revit, MX and Navisworks, etc.

I am working in a large engineering firm that has many different disciplines that use different software. Vectorworks Landmark is great for landscape architects, but I don't know how it fits with a big picture of civil engineering, architecture, water engineering, etc. My company is jumping on the BIM wagon and I need to see how Vectorworks fits in large projects that involve large scale city planning and design with other software packages. If this can;t be done efficiently, in these large industries we, landscape architects, will be left behind (stuck on AutoCAD).

If there are users out there that are successfully using Vectorworks in a BIM or SIM workflow that is talking with engineers and architects with their own 3D programs, could you please make contact with me so we can have a discussion?

Thats me in a nutshell. 

I run a small LA firm splitting time between the east coast and mountain west. We work on virtually every project scale from small high end gardens to urban districts. We almost always work with civils and architects on every projects, sharing files, modeling, etc. I have found the VW software to be headed in the right direction but a lot of the tools seem pnly partially developed and/or there is a BIG disconnect between professional needs and the actual software engineering.

We have tried IFC, 3Ds, Sketchup, and DWG formats for file sharing with limited success...

For my Projects also,

Data Exchange between VW and other Software,

other than C4D, which works quite great,

is more on the weak side and far from lossless.

I was a bit surprised that even DWG/DXF exchange of simple 3D geometry can be problematic.

I think the mostly likely format to see improvements and maintenance in the future may be IFC.

• Like 1

Been a squeaky wheel for a while now about exactly what diamo stated-- LA's are being totally underserved in the BIM world. I think VW has a great opportunity to capitalize on this if they:

1. Take serious look at site engineering needs of practicing LA's, and develop tools to directly address those needs, ie Better site grading controls, Better Road and Parking tools, Subsurface drainage tools, etc

2. Better Export, sharing capability via IFC, sketchup, DWG, 3Ds 

3. Drafting improvements, quick command, or command line options for most common tasks, ie line, polyline, trim, extend, circle, arc, fillet, scale, etc...

4. Better FREE training to help convert more CAD firms and help new users like us showcase the tools in our practice more quickly

Why NNA/VW seem resistant is beyond me. The response I get usually is something like "designers have different needs..." In my opinion, these are pretty standard workflows for modern-day LA's. I hate to be the squeaky wheel, but not sure what else to do to move the needle ?? We need these tools ASAP...

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2011 at 6:25 PM, diamo said:

I have and my clients have been collaborating with other disciplines with DWG files, IFC for Revit and in one municipality submitting required GIS information back after plans have been approved.

nca777 is right there are some issues and challenges and I like the short list of items that VW needs to pay attention to as well. We "Landscape Architects" have been neglected by the industry dominant player yet VW's is the only one that directly supports ASLA! Having been a AutoDesk user and a Microstation user I doubt I would ever go back to these platforms as they don't provide the support that Landscape Architecture requires as we move to closer collaboration with Architects on GreenRoofs and other systems.

Hello Robert:

In my experience a good BIM Design Team must work with two CAD platforms. Not in parallel but complementing each other. And using the same information model shared via IFC.

For example: The Building architecture, structural model and electrical devises; are made in VectorWorks. And MEP in other software like Data Design System from Nemetschek as well.

When work with other professionals like Civil Engineers ( that may use REVIT and SAP2000 for example ), VectorWorks export to IFC, SAP or REVIT natively, then I never had have troubles.

Then go ahead and be sure all will works fine.

Best regards