noob questions

ERK

Hi Everyone,

Im new to VW (finally bought it), so bear with me. I am trying to extrude something I drew in 2D, but for some reason when I extrude it brings back the lines that were trimmed off. Any ideas how to fix this? Example, I drew three rectangles (imagine a "U" shaped kitchen), trimmed off the lines that are not needed (inside corner to the back edge), then when I extruded it the lines re-appeared.

Also, I am having some issues when dimensioning things. Sometimes (not all the time for some reason), when I draw something in 2-D then go back to dimension and place radiuses etc, I get the error that intersecting lines are required. I checked by zooming in to make sure the lines are touching, but could not figure it out?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Eric

GWS: Sorry I dont really understand your question. I did not create the drawing with the polyline tool, but used lines, rectangles and arcs to create. I just drew a quick drawing that has the same issue, since the others I was practicing and did not save.

Ray: Here is a file that has the same issue. This file has not been extruded, but if you extrude it another line pops up, that wasn't even there when it was created. Just a quick drawing, so I have not really changed any of the settings.

Check out this attachment

You will want to extrude surfaces (like rectangles, arcs polygons, polylines, circles, etc), rather than lines.

You can extrude lines. But what you get is an infinitely narrow "ribbon". Extruding a square gets you a cube. Extruding a circle gets you a cylinder.

In the attached drawing I used the polygon tool in the paint bucket mode to create new polygons. Then I added the polygons together with the add surface command. Then extruded

It may have been easier from the start to use rectangles and an arc to begin with and then add surface.

hth

mk

Ray

How would I go about creating a partial section from a 3-D drawing? Lets say I have a stair tread, but wanted to enlarge and detail the nosing detail. Is there a way to do this that is simple, or is the best way to just draw a section marker then reference it to a viewport that was drawn separately.

Michael

Can you take a look at the attached file. I took a look at the drawing you sent, but the arc looks segmented. The file here has two similar pieces that have different problems and were created in different orders (notes in the comment boxes of the drawing). Am I using the Fillet tool in the wrong way?