Converting BACK from Lighting Position

Macluskie

Hello all

I have a general question as a relatively new VW2011 user.

"Once I have converted an extruded pipe to a lighting position, how do I convert it back to an "Extrude along path" again

The reason for this bizarre question might be simple or solved by a different approach with some help

I have a 3D model of a theatre with 30 counterweight bars. Any of which MIGHT be a lighting position depending on the show design. My instinct is that I dont really want to make them all lighting positions at the moment ( for example Counterweight 15 may be LX 4 and the renaming will get messy) but this may be the best approach?

My thought was that only the specific bars, as designated by the design would be converted to light positions on a show by show basis but this throws up some other problems with Z heights of the newly created LX Position and the aforementioned de-creating of LX positions back to 3D extrudes.

My other thought is that all Counterweight Bars are made LX Positions and those which aren't used are hidden by using classes to either hide the unused CW bars or only show the used bars.

Anyway, I'm in a slight head scratching pickle and would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Cheers

If they are all bars of equal length you only need to make one lighting position symbol.

I, myself, would make them all lighting positions but keep them on a base layer in a template file. When you need to plot a show, then move the positions you need into a new layer specifically for that show, and then make sure your base layer is greyed and non-selectable. Then you can plot lights and they should only attach to the pipes on your active show layer.

Hope it helps.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I usually convert all the pipes to lighting positions and rename them as necessary and send the ones I don't want to use to another layer. My base drawing has all the lighting positions labeled as bar1 etc that way during the planning stages everyone is clear as to which bars are used for what.

So even if "bar 1" becomes "LX 1", "bar 2" will remain "bar 2"

Remember the riggers and loaders are going to be looking at the bar # or Counterweight # on the rigging schedule. The LX position numbers are only have meaning the the lighting people.

You can also ungroup the lighting position to convert it back into a symbol. and if you really need the EAP you can ungroup it again.

Kevin

• Like 1

I do something completely different. In my base layer, I have loci that represent the ends of all the battens. If I need to add a lighting position, I just insert it at the loci. Similarly, if I need to draw in masking (which I tend to do without the batten), I can just use those pipe ends as guides.

If your batten lighting postion is a Red Symbol, adding them in this way is very easy.

-Josh

• Like 1

The help app has a decent explanation

When placed, this type of symbol is converted to a plug-in object. It has a specific insertion behavior (point, linear, rectangular, or path) and set parameters, and it can be modified, with many variations of the same object in the file. At symbol creation, select Convert to Plug-in Object in the insertion options to specify a ?red? symbol (see Creating New Symbols). Changes to a ?red? symbol definition affect future instances, but not existing ones.

It appears red in the resource browser.

-Josh