User Input for How To's and Knowledge Base creation

We are trying to create a Knowledge Base type thing to be interactive with our web page.

Any ideas for the types of things you would like to see included would be greatly appreciated. This could be things like "How do I change Layer Scale", "How can I edit the symbols assigned to the Plant Manager", etc. Other examples would be exact definitions of tools, functions, settings, etc.

This information will be helpful to us while we try to build the Knowledge Base entries and get it up and running on the web page as soon as possible. It will allow you to enter in a specific word and have a querry result with different topics entered.

You can start throwing ideas under the "How To" portion of the Discussion Board or replied to this post.

Well, I've spent a fair bit of time with HP's and Microsoft's Lack-of-Knowledge Bases, so one DEFINITE bonus would be the inclusion of a 'Known Issue' list, c/w any workarounds, if applicable.

Along the same line, the inclusion of a list of version-to-version changes would be helpful, since they aren't covered well in the manual.

Also, if you decide to do the Article system thing, please make sure that for articles that pertain to several OS's/devices/whatever, that the title lists NOT just one of those devices. For example, if there is a bug in Win2k, don't limit the title to listing Win2k if the same bug applies to XP.

Generally, I, personally, use 'Knowledge' Bases as my first option when I need tech support. Something as basic as changing layer scale is what the manual is for. However, related but-not-obvious behavior may be explained. If changing the scale of the current layer sends your objects shooting out of sight, an explanation of what the drawing centre is may be helpful.

Just my $.02.

Along the same line, the inclusion of a list of version-to-version changes would be helpful, since they aren't covered well in the manual.

There isn't much that is changed from version to version as far as fundamentals and tools. There is an 8.5 compatibility folder on the VW 90 and 901 Cds that include the information about the tools that are moved. In the manuals there is a section in the beginning in regards to changes that were made, as well as in the Appendix section. As for changes made from VW 901 to 95, that information in available on the web page under the section where you can download the updater.

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:"Along the same line, the inclusion of a list of version-to-version changes would be helpful, since they aren't covered well in the manual."

There isn't much that is changed from version to version as far as fundamentals and tools. There is an 8.5 compatibility folder on the VW 90 and 901 Cds that include the information about the tools that are moved. In the manuals there is a section in the beginning in regards to changes that were made, as well as in the Appendix section. As for changes made from VW 901 to 95, that information in available on the web page under the section where you can download the updater.[/QB]

I'm glad that the fundamentals and basic operation of tools don't change from one version to the next (with some exceptions, of course). However, there are unlisted differences that confront the user who spends 7h a day on nothing but VW. I've read the compatibility list. Right after I read the 'What's New' bit in the manual. The website praises the new 'features' of the program and points out some areas in which the paradigm has shifted. It misses some. Must I read the entire manual, neglecting no paragraph, to catch the overlooked / unmentioned modifications? Maybe I do, but it's inconvenient and actually a waste of time.

This tech board has provided me -- thank you -- with MUCH more information that is MUCH more important and MUCH more immediately relevant. If you're in the mood for automating some things, I'm just saying that you may want to include both twists and problems -- and their solutions, if any -- in your KBase so that one need not search through endless forum threads, unless he/she wants.

The way we are setting up the KB is to be able to search it based on the product itself - VW, VW Landmark, and the version 8.x or 9.x, and/or by any key words that we assign to each entry.

If you refer to the section on the discussion board of VW 9 Important Information Read Only, most of those are KB entries that were just copied and pasted over so we at least have something available as the KB is being developed. Of course the KB will be easier to search - since we are incorporating searchable keywords and specific problems related to the specific industry series products as well.

We intend to enter in the more common bugs associated with the programs, how to's, and more detailed information about the various commands, tools, functions, word definitions (such as a shader dictionary for RW), etc.

Do you have a recommendation of something you would think would be easier ?

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]

Hi Katie,One of my pet hates (where DID that expression come from??) is the type of search engine (all too common) that is STOOPID.Not finding something you need is frustrating, but not finding something you know is there because you didn't (or did) capitalise the first letter, or are not quite sure of the spelling, is very &%@*(%$. The Google engine is an example of one that works well, and will offer choices of things that nearly match. Very useful.

cheers,Nicholas