Smart cursor use

Just a newbie question.

I've selected smart edge and snap to object. I've got two lines that make up a curb edge. I'd like to draw the back edge of the curb @ 6". I've set the offset to 6". I "T" to both lines and can see the 6" offsets but how do I select that offset and use this useful info? If I spacebar to try to set a 2d locus I lose the point. If I select the line command and then pass over a line or lines and "T" nothing selects. What's the trick here?

Marshall

Marshall, I would approach this differently. There are lots of good ways to draw what (I think) you're after, including: 1) Use the Double Line tool, set to 6" separation; 2) Use the Offset tool, set to duplicate and offset 6"; 3) Use the Duplicate Array command; 4) Use Option+Click (Duplicate in place) and then Move the duplicate 6"...

Others probably have even more ways to do this...

Is the Smart Edge selected in the Constraints palette?

The Snap to Offset works with offsets to 'Edge Locks' which it appears are Acquired Edges / Extension Lines.

Be sure your Acquire Edge settings or Smart Point settings.

It might be useful to Reset the Constraint settings to get them to work as you expect.